What can cause jerking on heavy acceleration when AC is on in my 2008 PT Cruiser Convertable?

Octoberschild
85

Asked by Octoberschild Aug 12, 2012 at 08:08 PM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible

The service engine light came on in my car. It's come on before and then gone off. Yesterday after driving about 5 miles, upon trying to accelerate my PT started jerking. If I ease off the accelerator then it will run ok without the jerking. I had my daughter come over with her computer reader to diagnose the problem for me. No codes came up. She took it and test drove it, and it didn't do the jerking. Today I go out and have the AC going, the check service engine light comes on again and then the car starts in jerking on heavy acceleration again. I decided to try turning off the AC to see if that made a difference, it did. The car did not jerk any longer as long as I left the AC off. What could be causing my car to act up like this? Also, the service engine light stayed on even with the AC off and no jerking. I just had it checked out and a service done on it about 2 weeks ago. They said it had a clean bill of health....no problems. Now this!!! Can someone give me a clue as to what is going on...PLEASE????

Octoberschild
85

I finally figured out what was causing my car to jerk upon fast acceleration. I took my car to Autozone as my son suggested. They will hook up a computer reader to your car and get a print out of all the codes that come up. They will then give you the print out telling you what it showed as possible things wrong. I had two codes. One was saying the gas cap on my car was faulty and most likely needed to be replaced. Inexpensive quick fix! I more or less figured something was going on with it considering the gas cap light lit up from time to time on my dash. The other thing it suggested was my cam sensor. Another relatively inexpensive part replacement. If you buy it at the auto parts store it's a few dollars less then at the dealership. The parts store has two types, I chose the one with a lifetime warranty on it. My son installed the part for me which was an easy install, and my car is now running great again! :)

MileHiCity
10

Octoberschild, I had the same problem. When I turned off the ac, it was fine. Finally got tired of not using ac so when it acted up, I took it to the mechanic. Ended up being an accelerator sensor. Hope this helped :)

boozersdad
40

my 2007 pt did same thing, engine light came on , car was jerking and bucking, ( had nothing to do with the a/c or heat) it was the cam positon sensor, on line the part is 35.99 to 55.99 depending on where you buy it, local garage did mine part and labor for 162.00