2008 hyundai accent 1.6 cyl automatic

kristiewilliams1
5

Asked by kristiewilliams1 May 14, 2013 at 03:09 AM about the 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS

1st the engine light came on & it seemed to just "peter out" of any engine power (at
most 35mph & that was going down hill.if had to climb any type of incline it would
diminish to hardly a crawl) with HIGH rpm. The codes were random misfires cyl 1 & 4.
we replaced all plugs & coil packs, This worked for a day & a half. Next day on way to
work, I didnt drive 4 miles before I was right back where I had started with the high
rpms & barely crawling. It has been sitting in my yard for over a month. I had joined the
hyundai forum, had someone tell me that computer software needed to be updated.
Hyundai dealers techs are douche bags...I already explained we already went through
diagnostic crap...Im not paying some douche bag $100 an hour to do whats already
been done if it only needs to be plugged into a computer for roughly 30 minutes for the
software updated. (my exhusband is service manager for a very prominent auto
dealership & my son in law is 1 of his employees & I already know how this hussle
works...unfortunately the boy doesnt know a thing about hyundai & the auto dealership
doesnt handle hyundai at all). Since then the ecu has been cleared & the car is still
acting up as it was & the light has yet to come back on. This leads me to believe it is
NOT anything associated with sensors, electrical or to do with computer or software.
The Transmission fluid showed to be low via the dipstick (yes in neutral idleing & warm)
& I added a little at a time to appropriate level, but nothing so far. Is there something I
am missing here? I keep finding posts concerning the computer must relearn after its
been cleared...& something else about putting the car in neutral to drive 5 times and
then neutral to reverse 5 times  with 3-5 seconds between the changes to "reset" the
transmission.(that I found on the hyundaitechinfo site...) What happened to the good
ole days when if the water pump went out you replaced it, if starter went out, you
replaced it...not replaced it then carefully had to do a rain dance, stomp 3 times, do the
hokeypokey, rub your belly & pat your head while hopping on your left foot backwards
10 paces?  Im sorry if that offended anyone but im at my wits end here!

83,445

Do the symptoms happen after the car warms up? I'd say since you drove around with the engine light on/misfires, unburnt/raw fuel was pushed in the catalytic convertor and subsequently clogged them. That's why the car won't move, you can't push the exhaust out the engine. I'd have a local exhaust/muffler shop check to confirm, those inspections are free.

kristiewilliams1
5

doesn't matter if warm or cold, it does it regardless. infact it seems as if it has more power when 1st started than it does after its been running for a bit. It will also stall out. gear shift will go into each gear. only starts in park and neutral. does backup in reverse and forward in drive, low, 1 & 2nd gear. just SLOW as Christmas and gets slower as it goes. there is not a jerk or grind or anything either. one of the belts have started squeaking since its been sitting up. & timeing belt is fine, although I do have 1 (we thought it had broke or jumped time when it all 1st started and that was ruled out immediately)