My van battery was dead when we jumped and attempted to start it the ignocian wld not even turn over and the instrument panel light says "bad key"

April Doty Williams
0

Asked by April Feb 20, 2013 at 08:30 PM about the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

judge_roy

you must perform a load test on both batteries, after both are fully charged overnight. corrosion can play hell, be sure battery terminals have been hosed clean and metal is ready to accept a connection. Ground connection must be to engine and frame. Perhaps a load test will reveal a weak battery...or low voltage, if they both come up healthy jump positive to positive, negative to frame or chassis, never to the battery. darn thing can blow up and take out an eyeball and part of the skull, because you did not jump to chassis- please be careful.

judge_roy

Don't worry about "bad key" 'cause it is confused with reduced voltage 'brown out' the electronics...give it a good 12V, and we're off to the races. report your situation---

BURT100
550

On your car battery check the battery connections (posts & battery cable connections) for any corrosion (frosty looking gunk on the post & connector). If any gunk is found, pull the battery cables off NOTE:–Negative Cable first and + Positive Cable second. Then wearing rubber gloves and safety glasses clean the gunk off first with a baking soda /water mixture be careful the baking soda will neutralize the acid in your battery so don’t let any down in the vent caps (IF on your battery) then flush off with water. Then you can use a battery post brush (get at big box store or auto parts store) on post and connector; reconnect the cables on your car NOTE: + Positive first,- Negative second. Now try to re-jump start your car. To prevent future corrosion you can buy battery terminal grease, (will last a long time) or use Vaseline petroleum jelly (not long lasting but a quick fix) Good Luck HTH

brucea
305

you got some good answers let us know how it works or not thanks

judge_roy

weirdo [code] in the key?...now just what are we supposed to do about that?