Do you have to reset computer after installing a battery

Tunebyear
20

Asked by Tunebyear Nov 12, 2012 at 06:53 AM about the 2004 BMW X5 4.8is

We found at odd times the alternator shuts off  leaving only the battery to drive the engine which soon shows
warning lights and then a total shut down and a dead engine, yet the Ign warning light never gave advance warning.
After say half an hour you could jump start the engine after which every thing is in order and the alternator  charging
up the battery

jwhalen70
580

Undo your negative battery terminal and turn on ignition key leave on for a couple of minutes, turn off key and install negative terminal. It sounds to me that your altenator needs to be replaced, it is working until it gets hot, the altenator is faulty, would not have anything to do with computer, however if u are going to chang it yourself make sure u disconnect negative terminal from battery to prevent shorting the altenator wires against something that would be grounded.

Tunebyear
20

Hi there Jwhalen, a nice tip about the ignition key, It's when a problem comes along there are so many interesting things that pop up Probably the best way to learn just how things tick Yes I'm thinking it's the alternator and happy to hear about the computer side of it, hopefully I will get my hands on the X machine next week and have some fun. O' yes I sure will disconnect the battery before work. Many thanks

PrasannaPMC
90

Hi guys, I ran to flat battery and RACV guy who came to fix it disconnected the + terminal and reconnected it. now computer is asking for a code before it starts, I have no idea what is the code. does anybody knows how to reset this code please? Is it OK to charge the battery with external Charger through the jumper points while the battery is fixed in the car?

62,535

I don't know anything about the code. You can charge the battery in the car. Start a new thread so people can respond. The thread you are on is four months old.