How to reset the Computer code after disconnect / replace the battery

PrasannaPMC
100

Asked by PrasannaPMC Mar 29, 2013 at 05:14 PM about the 2004 BMW X5 4.8is

Hi Guys, Battery ran flat in my BMW x 5 4.8is after I left the key on about 4-5 hrs, some interior lights were on and
CD Player was on. is that usual? or is it look like my battery has come to end of life? I thought it has more power
than that.The I call RACV, a guy came and first tried with tiny battery pack, connected to jumper start, but didn't start
and some alarm went off and display went blank. then he disconnected the + terminal to reset the computer and
tried again, nothing happened. Then he suggested to use more powerful source he had and it seemed had enough
power ( he should have done it at the first place without disconnecting the power terminal), but computer asked for
code before it starts. I have no idea about what is that 4 digit code and does anybody know how to reset that code?
Also is that OK to charge the battery with external battery charger through the jumper start terminals without remove
the battery out of the car ( while the battery is fixed in the car?)

64,325

You can charge the battery through the jumper start terminals. They connect directly to the battery terminals. I don't know anything about the code. It might be written in your owners manual.

PrasannaPMC
100

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried to charge but it wasn't possible. sound the alam for 30 sec and cut off the power in the charger. it doesn't even show the power level of the battery on the charger when it connected to the jumper start but it does in my Nissan. how can I contact BMW on this issue? Cheers Prasanna

Roy Nader
225

hey you have the old x5 or the new one (e53 or e70)

PrasannaPMC
100

It is 2004 model, 4.8is. I think 53e

sasaiov
20

hi,same to me but i disconnect battery wait 5 min connect battery back, turn egnition key to position 1 wait 10 min and start engine, all works but have another problem, the computer is not working corectly sound system is off display is confusing,i look in manual is nothing says about this, so i have apoinement next week to BMW center, hopufuly will fix that.