2004 Tahoe Z71 brake lights not working. I replaced the bulbs, fuses, and brake light switch and they still are not working. Any ideas??

brivas
0

Asked by brivas Sep 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4WD

I replaced the bulbs, fuses, and brake light switch and they still are not working.  Any ideas??

Michael McGrail
4,525

Does your Tahoe have the tow package?

brivas
0

Yes, though we've never used it

Michael McGrail
4,525

Inspect the trailer hook up wires. Make sure the t-plug has not come unhooked. Also, you should have two fuses for brakes. make sure to inspect both.

Best Answer
brivas
0

I replaced three fuses, two for the brake lights and one for the third brake light and cruise control. Can you tell me where the t-plug is? I've never used the towing components. Thanks!

Michael McGrail
4,525

Back track the trailer plug. It will run to a t-plug where it connects to the brake lights and the main harness. Your tail lights run through the t-plug so if it fails.. No brake lights. And it is quite common. The t-plug is usually tucked up behind the bumper (different on every vehicle though). Once you find it, I would just unplug it and connect the tail lights up to the main harness directly. See if that fixes your problem.

Best Answer
Michael McGrail
4,525

Here is a photo to give you an idea what to look for

Michael McGrail
4,525

Additional question.. Do your turn signals and hazard lights work?

brivas
0

Thank you! I will give it a try

brivas
0

Yes, turn signals and hazards work. Cruise control does not. Symptoms seemed to match bad stop light switch, but replscung it didn't help. The retainer clip is in place, as well.

Michael McGrail
4,525

If there is any fault in the brake light system, the cruise will not work. But the brakes also run through the turn signal switch in your Tahoe from what I see, so since the turn signals are working, then we know it is good.