Why are my brakes squeaking so much in the cold weather, we own a 2006 Honda Accord EXL - 4 door, very annoying?

SuzieQ
45

Asked by SuzieQ Dec 13, 2006 at 11:31 AM about the 2006 Honda Accord EX

We are first time Honda owners and overall we are very pleased with the vehicle.  We live in Alberta where our winters are cold and long!  Since the cold weather has arrived, our brakes constantly squeak which is very annoying...  I am wondering if others are experiencing the same?

22,525

It is a very common problem and is not unique to Hondas. Owners of every kind of car, and truck for that matter, have reported that there is squeaking when the car backs up in the morning. I myself drive a 2006 Toyota and the brakes also squeak in the morning. Dealerships continue to say that it is not a problem at all and it is just a case of moisture on the brake drums that will be wiped off with a few taps of the brakes.

dvigano
10,575

In general, 'squeaky brakes' normally refers to 4 things. Worn or faulty equipment Application of improper materials Abnormal Moisture Other mechanical failure First, your brake system could be telling that it's having some problems (eg. worn out brake pads, warped rotor, other metal to metal contact, etc). Those problems, gone unchecked, could lead to a mountain of repair bills. I would suggest that you have your brake system checked by a professional - and soon. Second, this could be a bi-product of the materials used in your breaking system. You might try replacing your brake pads with the ceramic pads or purchasing the OEM version from your local dealer. Once again, I would them professionally installed to make sure it's not the improper installation of the parts that could be causing the noises. Third, brake systems are designed to remain moisture free. Any small amount of oil, grease, water, or brake fluid can cause the results you're experiencing. Just to be sure, I would dismount your wheels and tires and wipe the rotors/drums with a brake system cleaner. This will at least give you peace of mind that it isn't something simple. Lastly, you may have a mechanical issue with another part in the drive train that could be causing the problem, but it sounds like its coming from the brakes. In other words, another part or parts could be making the noise when the brakes are applied and your brake system is fine. Some basic possibilities that come to mind are as follows: CV Joint, Transaxle, Transmission and Ball Joint. Have a professional inspect the area for any metal to metal contact of any parts that would not normally have contact with each other. If all else fails, speak with a trusted mechanic and explain yourself in as much detail as you can. They may already know of a solution to your problem. Hope this helps.