No Power below 2k RPM

Asked by JohnBoySS Oct 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero Base

My 88 Fiero 4 cylinder doesn't seem to have much power till 2000 rpm +-. If you rev it a bit and let up, it drops rpms so low that it almost goes dead and sometimes does. When it doesn't go dead it recovers with eratic rpm, up to 2k, down to 500. Does the up an down 2/3 times then levels at 1k. Whe you press the accelerator it's kinda hesitant/doggie. Kinda like a bad carb.
Any thoughts? Idle Air Control maybe????

IAC or EGR both will cause this problem

Andrew Welsh

Low power until 2000 rpm isn't that abnormal... unless its really low. I have the same thing on my '87 4 cylinder. The engine makes peak torque around 2300rpm, so that's about when you start to feel the power. IAC is the most likely source of the irregular idle issue. EGR doesn't have much of an effect on how this engine runs really. I've had mine blocked and unblocked and bolts loose and it pretty much always ran the same.

Jason Zane

also have you changed the fuel filter?