Hard start and a bit lean

JohnBoySS
25

Asked by Oct 15, 2012 at 02:37 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero Base

Just got an 88 Fiero. Most of the time it runs great. BUT! Sometimes it will start, run for a second or 2 then quit. Does that several times running longer each time the eventually keeps running. At first idle is up and down but not to the point of dieing. Does that several times then settles at 1k rpm and fine from that point. I have had a code 44 (lean) a few time. Can hear the fuel pump for a couple of seconds as usual before starting...
Does not do it all the time. Maybe more often when hot.
Anybody had anything like that? What was the problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Welsh
225

I have an issue kind of similar but not quite the same. My '87 has the 4 cylinder engine and will have the up and down idle but that usually occurs after it has warmed up. I've had people suggest checking the idle air control passage and fuel pump pickup as possible sources for this issue. I haven't gotten around to fixing it though. My engine also usually runs rich rather than lean at startup. My guess would be fuel related. Might be the fuel pickup needs replacing as they can wear away over time. Also would be worth checking your injector spray. Make sure it's a nice even cone and that it's not clogging some or spraying more to one side. I would also check the fuel filter.

Ken1926
0

The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when you turn the key on (you should hear it run as it is controlled by the computer for 2 seconds at this time). After the engine starts the oil pump switch closes the circuit and the fuel pump operates. Check the fuel pump computer operation by using a test light at the ALDL connector, connecting terminal A at top right and terminal G at bottom left. If the test light does not stay on for 2 seconds, it is the computer.