can i swap the automatic transmission from a 1988 fiero 4 cylinder into a 1986 fiero 6 cylinder that has a manual transmission

aquaboy
0

Asked by aquaboy Jan 10, 2013 at 03:20 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

My manual tranny keeps acting up and I am tired of the clutch issues.  How hard of a swap is it?  Are they compatible?

Andrew Welsh
185

I believe the bolt pattern is a little different. However, the same 3 speed auto came on both engines for the duration of the vehicle's life so it should be possible to find a v6 auto. alternatively, you could look into another auto that shares the same bolt pattern. Keep in mind you will also need to make computer changes to get everything to work right since your manual doesn't shift itself and likely doesn't have any programming related to the transmission.

45,645

Check out GAOwnersClub.com - There a guy who posts there that installed a V6 engine in his Fiero.