Mice in fresh air tubes, pre filter.

subarupete
50

Asked by Jun 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM about the 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon

I cleaned out a mouse nest for the second time on my cabin air filter of my 2006 Impreza. Does anyone know where the intake opening is so I can put steel mesh over this so they can not get in? I tried running my shop vac o blower through the vent from the filter to find the opening, there was some air movement at the base of the windshield drivers side, I know mice can not get in through there. Thanks

Own any cats?, I've got four....Mice do not survive around these parts~ I suggest that you set up a few mouse traps (like at least four) and like you are suggesting some window screen over the openings....do you plan to use pop rivets or sheetmetal screws to hold the screen in? curious as to know how you plan to make this happen~

subarupete
50

No cats but have trapped five mice already. I was thinking metal hardware cloth, bent into place, perhaps some sheet metal screws. Once I actually find the opening I can plan the fix better.

those little devils can punch thru anything...best to subvert their efforts with some cheese~

poison is bad...not only unheathy on the air inlet, dead mice will smell too, recently bought a used mini (only 34,000 miles on it) and looks new, no damage to the upholstery but because it was a rental and had nine owners, someone took their shoes off and the environmental air filter still needs to be changed with an activated carbon one....you might just change out your cabin filter with a new activated charcoal one to get completely rid of any smells they may have left behind~

here ya go 16 bucks on amazon~ http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B001CEG96C

subarupete
50

Thanks, have the filter already, just need to know where the mice are getting in so I can block this off with metal screen..

They got TEETH pete and can gnaw through anything...make another thing more appealing then your car~

I did not think of this before, but you could grab a smoker and have him puff his smoke into the vent when it's set to "fresh" air and see where the smoke comes out of...a kind of reverse engineering...'round these parts it's SPIDERS every where~ inside and out...in the engine in the passenger compartment....at least it's not ANTS~

suspecting the COWL vent, pete~

subarupete
50

Thanks JR, appreciate your thoughts on this. Great idea, best at night with a good flashlight that would show the smoke well. Worth a try and costs nothing. So far no new mice intrusions. Perhaps the mice hate the smell of the vent deodorizer as much as I did. Hard to imagine mice getting through the cowl vent bars, no sign of a chew there.

YAY~!! :)

probably is the water drain from the cowl there~

you could train a garden hose on the windshield the cowl should fill with water...drain plugged by a dead rodent....maybe~