The high beam switch does not stay on , it works when you hold it in only ?

Asked by csinagra Apr 15, 2008 at 09:56 AM about the 2001 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible

Is this an easy fix ?
Thank You

A Facebook user

push it towards the dashboard! it should click and hold.

You actually need to turn the lights on (knob on dash) and then high beams will work.

Lee Jones

if the switch doesnt stay pushed forward you need to replace the high beam switch not a fun job

Sushil Kapadia

well on my 9-3 you have to pull the lever towards you until you hear/feel two clicks...the first click is to just flash the highbeam and then the second click is to hold the beam

Did you ever find/fix this problem? I have the exact same issue with my 2004 93. As long as I hold the highbeam switch, the highs work fine, but when I let go it goes back to low beam.

I have a 2005 9-3 and it is also doing the same thing. Did you find out anything?

Do you know how to remove the switch and where to purchase one?

James Bonnett

the headlight switch must be activated for the highbeams to be engaged, otherwise they can only be held on with the lever. There is a rotary selector knob to the left of the steering column that controls the headlights, it must be in the on position for the highbeams to lock on. (Note, the headlights will turn on in the dark whether the headlight switch is on or not, so don't use this as an indication of whether the headlights are active). Hope this helps.

Jan Fosen

The trick is to tapp it hard all the way back, then you will feel a little click and a blue light will appear in the consoll. Rember to have the lightswitcht STRAIGHT UP. :) If you still dont get it , contact me on msn : , and i'll send you a video instruction :)

We just bought a 2003 Saab 9-3 2 days ago. The advice is correct! Turn the light on on the left dash. THANKS!!!

Jackpot. Had the same problem after a service appointment to replace my blower motor and resistor. Techs must have turned my lights off. Thanks.

Hazel Liparoti

hi mate my 93saab 2000 high beem dose not come on and the blue light on the dash dose not come on when i put new bulbs in they work for a bit but then they blow and i have no high beem. hope you help thanks

Laura Chalkley

Thank you so much!!!! I have been asking everyone I know what could be the problem and worrying that I was going to have to replace the switch or something in the steering column to get this fixed. I'm so glad it was as easy as that. The internet hasn't steered me wrong when looking for answers, so thank you again!!!!! :o)

Jan Fosen

Shure you got the right bulb? The Watt has to be the same. If it is, then you might have to change the fuse

Joe Westfall

Actually, the specific problem that I had was that when I pulled the stalk in, the lights would flash as in the passing/flash mode but would not stay on high beam (no click for high beam). I think I "solved" this problem by switching the headlamps from the full-time day/night mode (straight up noon) to the day-time mode (3pm) and back again. Now the stalk will activate high beams now. Might be a switch issue down the road but for now it seems to 'fix' it.

Turning the light switch to the ON position resolved the issue. Not only that the lights at the control dials on the console also came up.

I just had this issue with my 2007 9- 3. The high beams would not stay on. The above answers fixed the problem. I had the car in for service a few days ago and they must have turned the headlights off. Once I turned them back on by turning the headlight switch all the way to the left, the high beams stayed on. Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.