x type 3.0 sport just stuggled to turn over now taps loudly but still runs??? help please

CARLTON74
0

Asked by CARLTON74 Feb 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0

62,755

Was it sitting a long time? It could be low battery voltage. It could be bad battery wire connections. --- The tapping could be a lifter that collapsed. It might pump back up when the engine warms up.

judge_roy

Make sure the oil hasn't leaked out.

Lars Cats
3,245

The tapping is more likely than not the hydraulic lifters that may have leaked down due to either too thin a viscosity of engine oil or simply because it has been sitting for a while. If it's not been used for a bit the lifters should fill up quickly enough, if the tapping stays after a few minutes on good oil pressure then one or more of the lifters may be defective.