2002 Jaguar X-type...

fredajos
25

Asked by Jan 07, 2008 at 06:17 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

Have a problem with my 2002 X-type and dealership can't determine the problem.  Thing is, every 5 days, my battery goes completely dead.  Eletrical system checked out, with a possible drain stemming from alternator.  Had alternator replaced, and still battery died after 5 days.  Had battery replaced, still died.  Checked all systems for possible drains, nothing.  Checked to ensure all lights were off...still nothing.  Any guidance would be appreciated!

papa

you have a power sourse draining your battery,this could take some time to find,have you changed the raido,or installed something that would plug into cig,lighter or fuse box.until you find the live source you can unhook neg battery cable when not driving to keep charge on battery.

35,375

Yes, you definitely have a parasitic drain from something that shouldn't be. I would take a test light and go through the fuse box, testing each circuit for power with the engine off, no key in the ignition. Compare this with the fuse diagram in your owner's manual and see which circuits have power when they should not, if any. If the dealership has truly gone over the vehicle completely and found no problems after doing the proper tests, I have to believe you have a wire that is rubbed bare somewhere and it is shorting to ground. This can be very hard to find but there are tools for doing just that, which will make an audible "beep" when stray current is detected even under carpeting, etc. Electrical probs. are the worst to troubleshoot, and if your dealer cannot give you satisfaction, I would take it to another dealership and try them.

Best Answer
sideshow
95

Great advice there and I agree! Electrical issues can be tricky so phone around local mechanics and ask if they have the tools littlehorn suggests and the expertise you need. Ask if they've dealt with this issue before and how they solved it. A good mechanic will boast and tell you, a liar will say its too complicated to explain. Choose wisely young Skywalker, the wrong mechanic could cause more problems than they solve.

casper271
5,685

this is going to sound funny but have you check the glove box? the two that I have worked on with almost the same problems, was we found that the push/plug (the bar that turns the light on when you open the glove box)was broke (one of the cars was broken and the other just needed to be re-aglined). this is a pain seeing you wont be able to see if the light is on after you close the glove box. You can pull the bulb or, as we did, was put a vid camera in the glove box (recording) and took the car for a drive to see if the light comes on.

fredajos
25

Thanks for all the help. Pulled car from dealership and brought it to a local mechanic. With all the input, at least I'll sound somewhat competent when speaking with him.

cjsmjd
75

please help my jaguar 02 xtype 3.0 battery lite came on didnt die for about 1 week nowit wont start.

cjsmjd
75

my battery lite came on but drove to miami and back 4 days later battery dies help