Why does my car make a knocking noise every time i drive over a small bumb in the road. My car runs just fine except the passenger front side makes that noise when it hits bumps

Tasha Stapleton
50

Asked by Tasha Aug 28, 2012 at 09:32 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Base

When i drive over a small dip or bump in the road, my car makes a knocking sound. What can that possibly be? I have a feeling that my strut is bent and i am going to have to replace it. but im not for sure what it may exactly be. can anyone help me please?

141,765

Strut, sway bar bushing, end link, etc. Best to have someone look under the car and see what is broken and or loose and fix it for you.

Chris McGee
4,755

front or back?? In the rear the strut mounts corrode and deteriorate the new replacements are steel old are a cheap pot metal. In the front it is probably a tie rod end or ball joint, if your steering has some play side to side or if you sit still and turn the wheel side to side rapidly and hear a clunk clunk its a tie rod, get em replaced asap.

Tasha Stapleton
50

Its the frontpassenger side that is making the noise and i already replaced the ball joint and the control arm and it still makes the noise. My husband is the one that is currently working on my car and he keeps looking at it and is replacing part after part. so were in the middle of buying various parts plus parts that are obvious that need changed. we just dont get what exactly could be making that noise. My husband says that its the hub that could be making that noise so he is going to put the hub on today and see what happens after he puts that part on. Ill pass on this info to my husband and see what he siad and ill get back to you guys. thank you for the info and ur info on what my problem may be. Thanks!!

JIMDEC1
30

ITS MOST LIKELY A SWAY BAR END LINK

9,995

I have strut that make that noise when i go over bumps. If the wheel hub was bad you could tell by jacking up the car and shaking the wheel. Also the hub will make noise the faster you go.

Timothy Morin
140

its you right ty-rod assembly its got a fracture in the assembly and no matter what anyone else says it should only cost 25 to 35 dollars plus labor to replace so dont get rooked... i did most garages find other problems and in my case i caught several garges tinkering with parts that werent even related to why i was there

BAGY
30

I GOT AN IMPALA AND JUST REPLACE THE STRUTS CAUSE I THOUGHT THATS WAS THE CASE BUT IT WAS AND THEY WERE BAD BUT IY IT FIX BUT SOMETHING IS STLLIN MAKIN A NOISE IN THE BACK WHEN I GO OVA A BUMP

benson3976
20

Its definately your strut making a noise when going over a bump. Im having trouble with a clinking noise when I turn the steering wheel. My father n law said it was the axle, I think it is the ty-rod. Has anyone elsefixed this problem, whats the quick fix? Thank you.

Manny Guillen
20

@Benson3976 i think it may be your CV joints js. Clicking when turning usually does end up being the CV

grk41610
40

Dodge Dealership told me it was going to be the strut mounts that needed to be replace, after keeping it for 2 days and staying in a motel room waiting for them to fix it. At the end of the second day they still hadnt fixed what they said, decided to just drive it home and fixed it myself. After looking I decided to replace the sway bar bushing and low and behold that was what was making the noise. A $6.95 part saved me $450.00. So I suggest replace them first and or even tell a mechanic to replace them if you dont want to tackle the job. Just make a mark on tthe old ones to make sure that they have been replace with new ones. CHEAP FIX!!

Susy_China
10

I HAVE A CHEVY MALIBU AND IT MAKES A BELL SOUND EVERYTIME I HIT A BUMP. WHAT COULD IT BE????

ValBourque
10

How about those of you with vehicles and/or problems other then the one in this thread post your own questions elsewhere and not on the answer to this issue.

ValBourque
10

THAN THE ONE...phone changed to then...and please please please use ENGLISH when posting in these threads so we can follow what the hell you are trying to explain!!!!