Is it worth buying a used Bmw M5 years 2007-2009?

Oneinamillion
0

Asked by Oneinamillion Oct 24, 2012 at 02:12 AM about the 2007 BMW M5 Base

I heard the 06 models had alot of problems and Im hoping the newer models are much more reliable. I
do not want to spend money on a car and then end up having to spend more money on fixing it.
Feedback please!

carfindersmd
25

the newer ones where known to have less problems no car has none. if i can help you with your search email me Adrian@carfindersmd.com thanks

Robert Charlson
2,415

You are correct that the 06 M5 did have some more issues then the 07 on up. Of course with any car maker the first year of production normally shows the most problems. My suggestion is to get a 2007 and up. The s85 motor in 06 did have an issue with the high pressure oil pump failing they fixed this issue in 07. If you do get a SMG then you will probably have to deal with the SMG pump at some point which isn't a cheap repair. Other then that they really dont have to many issues with this car but do remember you are buying an M car and the M does stand for money. Nothing on these cars are cheap. Best of luck to you finding one.

Best Answer
Michael Branan
1,705

The E60 M5 vs. F10 is night and day. The V-10 is a beast, and is also equally expensive to maintain. If you are remotely worried about maintenance, then steer clear. If you turn your own wrenches and enjoy occasionally tearing down your engine, then this is a treat. Otherwise, the kid's college fund just went the way of the dodo.

Scott Robson
235

You are looking at the wrong car if you don't expect to pay a lot in maintenance and repairs period. You have to pay to play. It is more about how the car was maintained versus the year manufactured as the issues with any 2006 models have likely already been addressed/repaired. Perhaps you should look at a domestic car if buying used for cheaper costs or lease a new BMW so the maintenance is covered? Really, you should buy an E39 M5 versus an E60 M5.

snikd
0

I do not know the answer to your question, however, I do know what you are asking...and for the most part, none of these answers is even modestly useful. What you should do i ask around...the mechanics who work on these and other BMWs and get a sense of what are the commonest failure items and at what mileage these failures tend to occur. The comment about the SMG pump however was a useful one. I certainly would steer clear of the SMG M3 and M5 (and M6, too).

BadM5
50

The M5 is a car that by most 'street legal' standards wouldn't be legal to sell in the USA similar to some of the other (high performance) modified series vehicles. The "M" In M5 doesn't actually stand for 'Money", but, it doesn't stand for "modified". I have own 8 M5's and still own 2. The 2 I own now are great cars. They are 2007 and 2008. It's important to remember that BMW M's are all built by engineers that do not really think too highly of skimping when it comes to quality and for good reason. This is what you should know...: The M5 is a Formula 1 race car with 4 doors, leather seats and navigation. The car's engine is so extremely choked down to make it legal to sell it's insane. The car drinks it's synthetic motor oil because the performance requires extreme lubrication to avoid a meltdown or damage. The Transmission is highly custom and not cheap. Call you dealer and ask them for replacement costs with the engine and transmission. The engine will cost $25k and I replaced just the hydrolic clutch on my M5 last year and it cost $11,000. They do not change brake pads on that car but the entire breaking system when you have brakes done. About $2500 to $4000 for brakes alone. My cars are modified more now and both produce about 750 HP and could easily go higher. This car is NOT for a regular driving car unless you have money to burn. I know it's many peoples dream car but seriously, unless you have cash, don't buy it. Best car in the world if you are looking for a race car you can drive to the track. Nothing else applies.

Scott Robson
235

M starts for Motorsport not modified BadM5. They drink oil usually due to improper break-in meaning soft break-in versus hard break-in not seating the piston rings properly. Add high compression and high revs and you get oil blow by. You can source well priced used S85 engines versus buying new lol. You can change just the brake pads if the rotor thickness are within spec and the calipers are not binding or sticking. Anyway, the point you are making is that they are expensive to maintain and I totally agree with you.