Is it worth buying a used Bmw M5 years 2007-2009?

Oneinamillion
0

Asked by Oneinamillion Oct 24, 2012 at 02:12 AM about the 2007 BMW M5 Base

I heard the 06 models had alot of problems and Im hoping the newer models are much more reliable. I
do not want to spend money on a car and then end up having to spend more money on fixing it.
Feedback please!

carfindersmd
45

the newer ones where known to have less problems no car has none. if i can help you with your search email me Adrian@carfindersmd.com thanks

Robert Charlson
3,265

You are correct that the 06 M5 did have some more issues then the 07 on up. Of course with any car maker the first year of production normally shows the most problems. My suggestion is to get a 2007 and up. The s85 motor in 06 did have an issue with the high pressure oil pump failing they fixed this issue in 07. If you do get a SMG then you will probably have to deal with the SMG pump at some point which isn't a cheap repair. Other then that they really dont have to many issues with this car but do remember you are buying an M car and the M does stand for money. Nothing on these cars are cheap. Best of luck to you finding one.

Best Answer
Michael Branan
2,285

The E60 M5 vs. F10 is night and day. The V-10 is a beast, and is also equally expensive to maintain. If you are remotely worried about maintenance, then steer clear. If you turn your own wrenches and enjoy occasionally tearing down your engine, then this is a treat. Otherwise, the kid's college fund just went the way of the dodo.

Scott Robson
445

You are looking at the wrong car if you don't expect to pay a lot in maintenance and repairs period. You have to pay to play. It is more about how the car was maintained versus the year manufactured as the issues with any 2006 models have likely already been addressed/repaired. Perhaps you should look at a domestic car if buying used for cheaper costs or lease a new BMW so the maintenance is covered? Really, you should buy an E39 M5 versus an E60 M5.

snikd
20

I do not know the answer to your question, however, I do know what you are asking...and for the most part, none of these answers is even modestly useful. What you should do i ask around...the mechanics who work on these and other BMWs and get a sense of what are the commonest failure items and at what mileage these failures tend to occur. The comment about the SMG pump however was a useful one. I certainly would steer clear of the SMG M3 and M5 (and M6, too).

BadM5
150

The M5 is a car that by most 'street legal' standards wouldn't be legal to sell in the USA similar to some of the other (high performance) modified series vehicles. The "M" In M5 doesn't actually stand for 'Money", but, it doesn't stand for "modified". I have own 8 M5's and still own 2. The 2 I own now are great cars. They are 2007 and 2008. It's important to remember that BMW M's are all built by engineers that do not really think too highly of skimping when it comes to quality and for good reason. This is what you should know...: The M5 is a Formula 1 race car with 4 doors, leather seats and navigation. The car's engine is so extremely choked down to make it legal to sell it's insane. The car drinks it's synthetic motor oil because the performance requires extreme lubrication to avoid a meltdown or damage. The Transmission is highly custom and not cheap. Call you dealer and ask them for replacement costs with the engine and transmission. The engine will cost $25k and I replaced just the hydrolic clutch on my M5 last year and it cost $11,000. They do not change brake pads on that car but the entire breaking system when you have brakes done. About $2500 to $4000 for brakes alone. My cars are modified more now and both produce about 750 HP and could easily go higher. This car is NOT for a regular driving car unless you have money to burn. I know it's many peoples dream car but seriously, unless you have cash, don't buy it. Best car in the world if you are looking for a race car you can drive to the track. Nothing else applies.

Scott Robson
445

M starts for Motorsport not modified BadM5. They drink oil usually due to improper break-in meaning soft break-in versus hard break-in not seating the piston rings properly. Add high compression and high revs and you get oil blow by. You can source well priced used S85 engines versus buying new lol. You can change just the brake pads if the rotor thickness are within spec and the calipers are not binding or sticking. Anyway, the point you are making is that they are expensive to maintain and I totally agree with you.

Gavannman
10

My 2007 M5 has been great. Very dependable. I did have to replace the SMG at 56k, but, it was under warranty. Other than that, it's been a gem!

Mustang2015
10

I was thinking of getting a 2006 M5 With about 44K miles. Maintenance cost have me worried now

CodyT
0

Just sold my 2006 M5 for scrap since the engine destroyed itself (vanos oil pump blew up and sent metal throughout the engine). Don't buy an M5 without a warranty. Period. Absolutely fantastic car, but not worth the risk, IMHO!

Mustang2015
10

CodyT how many miles did your 2006 M5 have when it died? I don't think warranties are offered on a 2006 or are they?

CodyT
0

About 101,000. I was told by the dealer when I bought it, "oh, these cars are bullet-proof. They last 400,000-500,000 miles!" ...No warranty, of course. The dealer did offer to put a new engine in for $28,000. I declined. (They also said it was possible it was just the Vanos system. A repair to that would be about $7000. But the last time they had this issue, the lady put $7000 into the Vanos and the engine was still dead. ...So I declined that as well)

Mustang2015
10

Vanos system?

CodyT
0

That's BMW's version of a variable valve timing system. The high pressure oil pump in that system is what goes, apparently. I guess they fixed it and maybe you're safe with the 2007 and up models, but I'm not sure. Everything is very expensive to maintain in those cars. I replaced my clutch at 80,000 miles and it was over $5K. I should have sold the car then, but it's such an awesome car, I couldn't do it! ...Don't test drive one or you'll be hooked! (And then out $20-30K in a few years, like me!)

Mustang2015
10

I noticed that the engine on the vehicle I'm test drove was very loud. Kind of sounded like a Diesel engine. Is that normal? It drove great

jaded007
0

CodyT you're so right man. I test drove the M5 and despite reading and hearing all the terrible shit I'm still looking for good information, it's been months. I even test drove the c63 AMG which was incredible but I don't know what the hell it is about the M5

jaded007
0

Mustang2015 they do sound like that on start up. I asked the same question as I test drove 3 of them. I want it to be sold so its not an option, lol bitter sweet

Mustang2015
10

Cool. FYI I bought the '06 M5. It has 44,500 miles and in mint condition. Super clean. Guy had it sitting in the garage and rarely drove it. Price was too good to pass up.

GtrM6SLSandEXRGEowner
0

I just picked up and an 06 m6 29k mi an this hole convo has me shaking in my boots lol so far I've had to replace the alternator which I put in myself and still ended up costing close to 1,000 buck lol but still no bothers what other 500+hp rear wheel car can you let your girlfriend drive lol. With the traction control on and out of M mode it's a completely different car. I will in the other hand be doing some more research on this vanos situation hahahaha

CodyT
0

Wow, I'm impressed that you guys can find 06 M5's and M6's with such low miles on them! Just beware that a $5K clutch is coming between 50,000 and 80,000 miles, depending on how it was and is driven, and you'll be fine. After you do the clutch, drive it for a short while, then sell it quickly! (And buy a newer one!) ...The 2013 Golf R that I scrambled to buy when my M5 suddenly croaked is fun, but is not nearly in the same league as the BMW! Even the audio system on that car was phenomenal (and I'm an audiophile!). Oh well, live and learn...

GtrM6SLSandEXRGEowner
0

Thanks I've been earned about the clutch by the guys at the meets which makes sense every clutch has to go at some point , it's a wearing part but this oil vanos thing is bothersome lol can it be switched or fixed to prevent the hole motor blowing in the case this secondary oil pump or whatever breaks ?

ChrisB57
0

So I''ve found multiple 2006 M5's with roughly 40-60k miles and about 25-28k$ price tag. After driving my ladies on and off the car is too much fun. However hers is fried and at 125k miles and it's the 2007. I haven't researched the difference yet. But I know her brakes are done, computer doesn't work in dash etc. she just uses it to race around in now and then. But should I stay completely away from the 2006? And got with a 2007- 08??? What's exactly is the big price tag maintenance issues and motor differences?

90003
20

I bought a 2008 M5 with 49K and the engine blew two weeks later, #6 cylinder. Engine replaced under warranty, then a brake booster motor went bad, replaced under warranty, just these two were 33K to warranty. It's a great car. Don't buy one if you're broke. I made sure I got a full warranty, don't buy one without one, you will regret it. Bit, its is by far the best car I have ever owned. It's an engineering marvel if you are into that kind of stuff like me. My car has ever option available (I don't think high beams assist was offered in the U.S.) I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and still finding out things about it. And of course it is a blast to drive when you can drive it which in the U.S. is not that often. The SMG is not for everybody especially around the town driving, but the car is not about that, it's about hauling ass and it does better than most cars. What I really enjoy is that people who know "M' know and people who don't don't. Not a fucking soccer mom car! Take your spoiled ass kids to practice in your minivan and quite posing! It's a drivers car! Just saying.

ChrisB57
0

Yes it is in fact a fascinating piece of machinery. I never would've known until I drove hers. I'm more of a classic muscle car guy but now I'm very eager to learn about this car and want one of my own. Hoping to buy one this week driving cross country from California to Massachusetts and have found a few that have caught my eye. Just how much is this warranty? And is it always available or has to be purchased under certain mileage?

ChrisB57
0

Yes the M is no joke. We were just about 170mph with 4k rpm to go.felt like we were floating. Very impressive.

Mychael Martinez
5

ChrisB57, Germany recently went through their own version of the "muscle car era". It was fleeting, lasting around ten or so years; but in it you saw BMW, Mercedes and Audi (just to name a few) creating vehicles with massive engines that sounded like freight trains and had the soul of a fighter jet. In the realm of these german muscle cars, this M5 is thunder-wielding behemoth. Truly, the E60 M5 (years 2005- 2010) is one of the last of the titans.

Mychael Martinez
5

As for getting one with a semi decent warranty (and this is something that many others may have different experiences with) take a look at Carmax. They DO offer a "fairly" extensive warranty, which may or may not be a hassle to have them actually cover certain things. The power train should be covered, though.We actually bought our 2009 M5 at Carmax, WITH the extended warranty. The car had less than 42000 miles on it and we paid 39k for the car. (This was two years ago).

Mustang2015
10

Have you had any idiocies with the car or the warranty Mychael

Mustang2015
10

Any issues ?

Mychael Martinez
5

I have personally put 40000 miles (yes, that is forty thousand) miles on it in under three years. The car has had 1 (and only one) issue, with the clutch. The clutch itself didn't go out, but a rivet on the pressure plate DID, which caused damage to the clutch, flywheel and a bunch of other things.. Mind you, our car was listed as an "automatic". I argued that it should have been covered, they argued back. It is actually in the process of dispute right now (we just paid the dealership ourselves in the meantime). it was under 4 grand. Which is still a pretty penny. I drive this thing DAILY. The thing about the maintenance that is SUPER important: 10w60 for your motor oil. This particular motor has an oil that was made SPECIFICALLY for it, Castrol's EDGE 10w60 and is now available at any O'Reilly auto parts. The dealer only supplies the newer shell 10w60, and we just take the Castrol in ourselves when we get the oil changed. The oil changes are few and far between, though. And the car naturally may consume about a quart or so over the course of several months. Other months, it doesn't consume any.

Mychael Martinez
5

In surmise, I would agree that the car can definitely set you back if it wasn't well maintained. But if you want a car like this, you have to bite the bullet and roll with the punches. Know that you can ALWAYS sell it without taking a humongous hit. That first hit on depreciation was issued to the first person who bought it. These were at a MINIMUM 90k brand new, depending upon options (ours, for instance was 116k new) and when you can scoop it up for less than half that, it's worth it.

Mustang2015
10

That's good to know. Mine had 44K miles and is pretty well maintained. The manual said to change oil every 1200 miles. That didn't sound right to me. How often do you change the oil?

You think this is helpful.