My Lumina's "Service Engine Soon" light came on as I tried to turn over the ignition. The engine turned over, however the engine seemed to be oscillating and shook the car. I turned it off, popped the hood. I couldn't find anything visually wrong. So I turned it over again, same idiot light and oscillation, however I noticed smoke coming from the electrical component up front under the exhaust manifold. This car is a 1996, w/ 155Kmiles and a new computer and 50K on the new trannie. I love the car and don't want to get rid of it, what should this be? Is it worth repairing? Is the smoke (like that of a burnt electrical component) related to the oscillation? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you

cookjnic
35

Asked by Jan 22, 2007 at 04:34 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

1996 lumina, LS, 3.1L.  We use only synthetic oil.  I noticed the oscillation and idiot light together.  the smoke was a couple of days later when i tried to trouble shoot.  

Larryy
45

I beleve this is your M.A.P. sensor gone bad, some cars have two located at the manifold. Manifold apsolute presure MAP, this a simple install by your self and can get from local part store. let me know if this helped. Larryy