How can I tell if my motor mount or shocks are broken on my 1991 volvo 740?

proppapoppa
0

Asked by proppapoppa Nov 25, 2013 at 07:54 AM about the 1991 Volvo 740 4 Dr STD Sedan

Every time now, for the past 2 days, that i go over a bump my car bangs, like my shocks
are busted. I checked my engine and it seems kinda loose but I still cant tell. The engine
only moves a tiny bit so i think it is an underneath motor mount that's broken, causing the
engine to bang into something when i go over bumps. I need help with pointers or how to
tell if it's my shocks or motor mounts. Thank you :)

83,675

The strut mounts tend to fail in these models. I'd look at the condition of them first. The motor mounts can very well be shot too at the age of your vehicle. Have someone get in the car and rev the engine in gear, foot on the brake while you look at the motor off to the side of the car, if it twists and comes up off the mounts, you know you have a problem.

DavidH25

Tom's answer is perfect. This is not a disagreement....push down on the front, then rear of the car with all your weight and it should go down, back up and stay there without a bounce. If it bounces up and down your shocks/struts are worn out or broken