How do I turn off an alarm on a 2000 VW Beetle if I don't have a remote?

Dallaslady
195

Asked by Dallaslady May 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM about the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 2.0

The key is no longer unlocking the door (although...it will lock it occasionally) and when I start the car the alarm goes off for 30 seconds.  I've tried looking at the inside fuse panel to see if one of those would deactivate the alarm, but no luck.  I have not tried the fuse box under the hood and don't know that I would recognize the symbol for it.  Thanks for any help you might be able to offer (except for selling it).  

Frances

20,205

You would have to go to the dealer and have them, most likely, shuf off the alarm via the fuse box under the hood.

Best Answer
Dallaslady
195

Thanks, lightGear. Of course the dealers are more than happy to get my business. I hadn't thought to simply ask them to shut off the alarm. They were talking $100 diagnostic, $100 for the remote, $55 to program it and, figuring there was probably an electrical problem, informed us that it would be $100/hour to figure out the problem. I do want a remote, in any event, but along with that, now I wonder what they'd charge to turn off the alarm? Thanks, however, for telling me where to FIND the fuse for it. :-) Frances

carrie2323
580

if your key will not turn off alarm, you can unlock the trunk with the drivers door open, leave the trunk lid up & get in & start the car. this will disengage alarm. have had to do this on mine.

engineer_bill
60

This worked great for me too! Now how do I turn it back on?

kytarea
50

ok, now what do you do when this does not work? when i have done the before mentioned process (saw it on another webpage) the car still re-arms itself. my car, i believe has major electrical malfuncions, and im seriously fed up with it. if anyone has ideas, please email me at kytarea@yahoo.com

vw_bug
70

The alarm is going off because the door latch module is bad.

Roque Diegel
20

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, the flashing red light went off and co0nnected the battery. It worked. We will see how long.

You think this is helpful.
Dallaslady
195

Thanks, everyone! In the meantime, I found a key and fob for the VW on Ebay, took it to a repair some that specializes in VW's and foreign made cars. He did it all (program, etc.) for $61.99. It's working great now. Thanks for all the suggestions and answers!!

Rinthanne
60

The alarm on my 2000 VW beetle sounds every time I start the car. I took the advice of Mark Helpful and opened the trunk and kept the driver's door open and started the car - it worked. Now I need to know if I have to do this every time I start the car or if the problem is fixed. Thanks Mark.

Rinthanne
60

Sorry, I musunderstood - the person I want to thank is Carrie2323 - duh!

Missanne
230

THIS HAPPENED TO ME WITH MY BEETLE! First use the actual key in the drivers side door...put the key in and turn it a couple of times...then try starting the car...if the alarm still goes off...use the actual key in the trunk lock of the car...turn the key I. The trunk lock...then start the car. It works! It resets the alarm! Also..in my case, the cover to the key lock on the trunk would not swivel to expose the key lock...so I used WD40 to lubricate the swivel of the cover...it works like a charm now!

Missanne
230

You only have to use the key in the trunk lock one time...it resets the alarm system. Whenever you change a battery to your car..you will need to do this to reset the alarm system.

Missanne
230

The car will not start unless you reset the alarm system by using the key to open the trunk.

Missanne
230

NO NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER TO RESET YOUR CAR ALARM TO START THE CAR! Just use your key to open the trunk of the car to reset the alarm system. Plain and simple. It will reset the entire alarm system and you won't need to do it again unless you change the battery to your car. Then you will have to reset it again using the key to open the trunk. That's it..plain and simple. One time...period.

Boble
20

this did not work for me. i had to disconnect my battery to stop it just now.. i dont have a remote and the open trunk think did not work.. any ideas? where can i disconnect it?

timvarge58
10

How to disconect the vw Sharan 2004 alarm it works everytime J open the dor or start the car.My remote control works and everything seems works but J can not stop the alarm . timvargen58@hotmail.com where is the alarm on vw sharan 2004 , J have Defa .

Pilotdale1947
10

I had to remove my battery today,tried to start,alarm activated,after trying every thing I could think of to stop alarm ,I turned switch key to on(start) then installed battery cables,worked alarm did not come on,car started.

pliskinjr
10

I used the advice of Missanne by using the trunk lock and it reset the alarm. This happened after a battery change.

uncfan
70

I'm new to the beetle world. This week I started having electrical issues. My Beetle was modified when I bought it. The trunk lock has been removed, Bondo-ed and painted. My key fob doesn't work. The radio is an after market radio. All at once I started having issues with the radio coming on and off, then the emergency flashers went off for approx. 30 seconds when turning the key to the on position, and the trunk will not open. What can I do to fix this?

Pilotdale1947
10

You did not state your model year,99 and earlier have a different alarm,and Imobilizer system than later models.With the mods on your trunk you may have go to alarm module behind the light switch,to disarm.These beetles have six different sensors,they can be a PIA to repair,believe me I have one,but you can repair don't despair.

uncfan
70

Oh yea forgot the model. It is a 2000. The light switch you are referring to - is it the switch on the left side of the dash? What does the alarm module look like?

Shawnbo
30

I have a 2002 Volkswagen beetle. My trunk also does not have key entry. The remote will not open the doors nor disarm the alarm. I try to turn on the car and the alarm sounds and the car will not start. I've disconnect the battery and tried looking for fuse with no luck. I can't open the trunk to try what was said to try before. The button does not work. What else can be done?

Philip Kluberdanz
10

I am trying to fix a 1999 Beetle for my ex wife, ended up having to buy a new battery - (the old one was the wrong one, I don't know if it damaged the electrics!) The car sat for 4 months. I put the new battery in, and all I get is the alarm - the car does NOT start. The dealer service dept said to put the key in the driver side door & turn it while the alarm is sounding to reset/disable the alarm. Did not work. (Service department also said the car should start even as the alarm goes off, this makes no sense to me, why would the car start if it "thought" the car was being stolen/tampered with?) Then after reading this blog I tried to open the trunk, the remote latch only releases the trunk 1/2 way. The key only goes in the trunk lock 1/2 way & will not turn, so I cant even open the trunk! As an added attraction, I am trying to do all this in an apartment complex parking lot, in August, in South Mississippi, meaning there is no shade and it's 99 degrees and 99% humidity. Did I mention there is no hood prop rod, so I had to change the battery while holding the hood up with my head? Can ANYONE tell me how to start this %#^&@ car?

Dale Miller
0

Remove both battery cables,touch cables together,install positive,now turn key to start position,leave on,now install negative,alarm will now stop.you are now able to start and drive.I have used this procedure many times

photobird
0

I have a 1998 VW beetle. After replacing the battery, the alarm would not deactivate nor could I start the car. There is a STUPID button under the dashboard near the left driver's knee, which I pushed up and it reset the alarm system and the car started. I hope this will help you.