How do I turn off an alarm on a 2000 VW Beetle if I don't have a remote?

Dallaslady
115

Asked by Dallaslady May 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM about the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 2.0

The key is no longer unlocking the door (although...it will lock it occasionally) and when I start the car the alarm goes off for 30 seconds.  I've tried looking at the inside fuse panel to see if one of those would deactivate the alarm, but no luck.  I have not tried the fuse box under the hood and don't know that I would recognize the symbol for it.  Thanks for any help you might be able to offer (except for selling it).  

Frances

17,645

You would have to go to the dealer and have them, most likely, shuf off the alarm via the fuse box under the hood.

Best Answer
Dallaslady
115

Thanks, lightGear. Of course the dealers are more than happy to get my business. I hadn't thought to simply ask them to shut off the alarm. They were talking $100 diagnostic, $100 for the remote, $55 to program it and, figuring there was probably an electrical problem, informed us that it would be $100/hour to figure out the problem. I do want a remote, in any event, but along with that, now I wonder what they'd charge to turn off the alarm? Thanks, however, for telling me where to FIND the fuse for it. :-) Frances

carrie2323
440

if your key will not turn off alarm, you can unlock the trunk with the drivers door open, leave the trunk lid up & get in & start the car. this will disengage alarm. have had to do this on mine.

engineer_bill
60

This worked great for me too! Now how do I turn it back on?

kytarea
20

ok, now what do you do when this does not work? when i have done the before mentioned process (saw it on another webpage) the car still re-arms itself. my car, i believe has major electrical malfuncions, and im seriously fed up with it. if anyone has ideas, please email me at kytarea@yahoo.com

vw_bug
40

The alarm is going off because the door latch module is bad.

Roque Diegel
10

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, the flashing red light went off and co0nnected the battery. It worked. We will see how long.

You think this is helpful.
Dallaslady
115

Thanks, everyone! In the meantime, I found a key and fob for the VW on Ebay, took it to a repair some that specializes in VW's and foreign made cars. He did it all (program, etc.) for $61.99. It's working great now. Thanks for all the suggestions and answers!!

Rinthanne
20

The alarm on my 2000 VW beetle sounds every time I start the car. I took the advice of Mark Helpful and opened the trunk and kept the driver's door open and started the car - it worked. Now I need to know if I have to do this every time I start the car or if the problem is fixed. Thanks Mark.

Rinthanne
20

Sorry, I musunderstood - the person I want to thank is Carrie2323 - duh!

Missanne
160

THIS HAPPENED TO ME WITH MY BEETLE! First use the actual key in the drivers side door...put the key in and turn it a couple of times...then try starting the car...if the alarm still goes off...use the actual key in the trunk lock of the car...turn the key I. The trunk lock...then start the car. It works! It resets the alarm! Also..in my case, the cover to the key lock on the trunk would not swivel to expose the key lock...so I used WD40 to lubricate the swivel of the cover...it works like a charm now!

Missanne
160

You only have to use the key in the trunk lock one time...it resets the alarm system. Whenever you change a battery to your car..you will need to do this to reset the alarm system.

Missanne
160

The car will not start unless you reset the alarm system by using the key to open the trunk.

Missanne
160

NO NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER TO RESET YOUR CAR ALARM TO START THE CAR! Just use your key to open the trunk of the car to reset the alarm system. Plain and simple. It will reset the entire alarm system and you won't need to do it again unless you change the battery to your car. Then you will have to reset it again using the key to open the trunk. That's it..plain and simple. One time...period.

Boble
0

this did not work for me. i had to disconnect my battery to stop it just now.. i dont have a remote and the open trunk think did not work.. any ideas? where can i disconnect it?

timvarge58
0

How to disconect the vw Sharan 2004 alarm it works everytime J open the dor or start the car.My remote control works and everything seems works but J can not stop the alarm . timvargen58@hotmail.com where is the alarm on vw sharan 2004 , J have Defa .