I have a 1999 beetle. When I shift into reverse it goes to first gear, and first gear is starting in the 3rd gear position. Is there a linkage adjustment.

springlook
10

Asked by springlook Mar 16, 2013 at 02:27 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle 2 Dr GL Hatchback

62,875

I don't know which transmission you have. This site might help - http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/38939-trans-shifter- adjustment-02j.html

springlook
10

I will check it out. Thank you

garageman
1,415

Sounds like you have got a worn shift gate,if you get a second person to operate the shifter while you observe it's action,you will see the wear on the shifter parts on the top side of the transmission,it is not a difficult job to do.the one thing that you MUST keep in mind that there can be NO slop in any of the linkages,there is a plastic guide of sorts that will wear out and exacerbates the slop,once that happens you get the disappearing reverse and first ,third syndrome,if you are not comfortable doing this ,again my advise ,find a shop that specializes in VW

Lovemybug327
0

I have a 2000 beetle 1.8 turbo 5 speed manual transmission that seems to have lost reverse, first and second gear. This morning I drove to work without issues, this afternoon I had to get a coworker to help me push my car out of the parking space. I drove home using third, fourth and fifth gears.

marawayland96
0

I have a 98 VW Beetle, manual transmission with a 2.0 engine. The actuating arm in my car broke in half and I lost all gears except for 3rd and 4th. I have a new part, but I cant figure out how to put it on. Any help??