Why VW Jetta won't shift gears

ssarbrwn1
0

Asked by ssarbrwn1 Jul 03, 2012 at 01:55 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

I have a 2001 VW Jetta, 5 speed...It will not shift gears and I don't know why..Do you?

68,275

Manual or automatic transmission?

garageman
925

As stated need some more information. As to a row it yourself or if its an auto tragic tranny

IW
30

2001 VW Jetta 5 speed....Will not shift gears. (5 Speed) tends to indicate you have a manual transmission. Could be a shift linkage cable. Thats the cable that connects your shift lever to the transmission. If the cable is broken you would be stuck in whatever gear you were in when the connection broke, and you would not be able to shift to any other gear, reverse or even nuetral. It's also possible that even if the cable itself is not physically broken, that the attachment mechanism has broken at either the shift lever or where it connects to the transmission. Obviously there are other possibility but given the age of your vehicle this is a strong possible.

markgish
25

Same issue on a 03 Jetta GLI. we have figured out it is the attachment mechanism on the shifter. my question is, can i get to it from the top or do i need to drop everything from the bottom. need help!