Why VW Jetta won't shift gears

ssarbrwn1
0

Asked by ssarbrwn1 Jul 03, 2012 at 01:55 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

I have a 2001 VW Jetta, 5 speed...It will not shift gears and I don't know why..Do you?

113,835

Manual or automatic transmission?

garageman
1,345

As stated need some more information. As to a row it yourself or if its an auto tragic tranny

IW
50

2001 VW Jetta 5 speed....Will not shift gears. (5 Speed) tends to indicate you have a manual transmission. Could be a shift linkage cable. Thats the cable that connects your shift lever to the transmission. If the cable is broken you would be stuck in whatever gear you were in when the connection broke, and you would not be able to shift to any other gear, reverse or even nuetral. It's also possible that even if the cable itself is not physically broken, that the attachment mechanism has broken at either the shift lever or where it connects to the transmission. Obviously there are other possibility but given the age of your vehicle this is a strong possible.

markgish
35

Same issue on a 03 Jetta GLI. we have figured out it is the attachment mechanism on the shifter. my question is, can i get to it from the top or do i need to drop everything from the bottom. need help!

1jackofall
10

Hi I have just fixed that problem on my Jetta you need to remove the aluminum casting holding your shifter shaft this is located on top of your trany first mark the location of your shifter cables i did this by spraying with black paint them twist and release the shifter cables now remove aluminum casting there are two 13mm bolts, casting will be stuck down need to tap up with a hammer the housing and shaft will come, out now if you remove nut on the top of the shaft this holds the shifter weight on top remove weight and pul the shaft out of the housing you will notice that there is a plastick roller bearing that the shaft rotates on, Well this is the problem if this bearing fails it prevents the shaft from traveling freely. I found one at the wrechers that was good if you cant find one go to a transmision bearing shop and match up the size, or go to VW and pay way to much if they even sell that part alone. check it out look carefully at each conponent you will figure it out