car wont start

lorenderrow
10

Asked by lorenderrow Nov 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL

i have a 2001 jetta 2.0 automatic and the starter recently went out i replace it 2 weeks ago. it was running fine until
yesterday and i had it replaced again. it ran once and now it isn't turning over, the starter is still good i had it tested.
and the battery is good as well. the car gets power but wont turn over. could it be a bad ground, a bad censor? i
thought it could be the distributor cap but if it were that the engine would at least be trying to turn over. i know a little
bit about car but this has me truly confused me. i need some help

DavidH25

Forget distributor cap. Nothing to do with what you describe. OK Let's go with starter and battery good. Several things to try, try putting it in neutral instead of Park and see if it will start. Foot on Brake. Then there is a possibility the igniition switch, or key is not sending the correct program to "brain" or ICM. Then starter soloneid, cable to starter, ground. Some of these questions such as yours, lorenderrow, are very difficult to diagnose without being at the car. Make sure even though we assume your battery is good, there is no corossion on terminals, and they are tight.

lorenderrow
10

yes the battery connectors are good, no corrosion ans the connectors are secure. i tried putting it in neutral and starting it as well as park. the solenoid is good because if i hit it with a hammer to see if it would start and it didn't. i'm leaning towards it being a bad ground. or i'm going to check the ignition switch with a voltage meter it if it doesn't read 12v it's bad. thank you for your advice. we'll see how it turns out. and yes i do agree with you it hard to tell when you don't have the car to see the problem

Fastfem24
65

Is your seat belt plugged in?

lorenderrow
10

I just tried to start it with the seat belts buckled and nothing happened

Fastfem24
65

Just a try, I had that stupid issue with one of mine because of the sensor in the seatbelts lol

DavidH25

A Jetta won't start without seat belts on? I believe you Fastfem I just never heard of that.

Michael Tutty
5,675

Did you get the starter from Volkswagen, or did you go aftermarket? The Bosch electrical system is all multiplexed. If something has the wrong feedback, something else will go sproing.

lorenderrow
10

it is an after market starter. I replaced the starter 3 years ago myself and everything went fine.

Michael Tutty
5,675

What about anything else electrical in the car? Everything runs off feedback, and if one thing is wrong, something else may well fail or act up.

jazz730
40

I have a question if my 2000 vw passat light turn on everything in side work why dont the car turn on

terrys1
60

hello i have 2000 Volkswagen jetta out of no where my car wouldn't start its been running fine until today i tried starting it and my key will turn over but it wont grab at all. and all the lights come on along with radio i have to unplug the battery because they wouldn't turn off i need help bad im clueless