Check engine light on 2003 VW Golf GTI

Bongoman
0

Asked by Bongoman Feb 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition

re: Check engine light came on last night

I have a 2003 VW Golf GTI 20th anniversary edition. Yesterday, while the engine was idling it was not idling smoothly and it seemed the idles dipped a bit before going up again. This happened a few times. Now the check engine light is on. The car was parked outside on the dealer's lot while it was in for repair. Could this be from condensation in the fuel line or moisture getting into the fuel system? The exhaust smells a bit. It was at a half tank so I filled it up last night and drove on the highway for 10 mins. It seemed to run okay. Today it started up fine and I drove it around the block without any weird idling issues. Any ideas what this could be from?

108,765

We'd only be guessing at this point until you check what code is stored in memory.

Bongoman
0

It was sitting in the dealer's lot while the car was in for bumper repair - not for engine work.

59,095

Get the codes read to see why the CEL was on.

Bongoman
0

What is the best code reader for VW vehicles? My dealer just told me on the phone that most code readers will give a catalytic converter error when it is not the right diagnosis.

Bongoman
0

Just did some research: It looks like Rosstech makes the best VAG-COM scanners. http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/IC.html Is this what you guys use to diagnose VW cars? Any suggestions are welcome.

Nick Eidemiller
3,465

stop at your local car parts place have them hook up their OBDII scan tool with it set to the VW seting and have them read the codes. For the most part any OBDII scan tool will work.