I just bought a 1998 vw cabrio conv....Does it take transmission fluid?? How do you check the level of tranny fluid? And where on the car do you check and put fluid in??

masonmiller570
100

Asked by masonmiller570 Jul 26, 2013 at 04:14 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

I cannot find a dipstick, knob or container for tranny fluid or oil or whatever goes into car for transmission?  My cabrio is a stickshift and it shifts into all gears great, but when I put it in reverse, there seems to be a problem with it making a cranking sound, it's not the winding sound of backing up and I know I cant go fast, but it almost wants to slip out of reverse if I go alittle to fast and I CANNOT back up any kind of hill??  DOES A 1998 CABRIO CONV. TAKE TRANNY FLUID AND WHERE DO YOU PUT IT IN AT AND IS THERE ANY MAINTENANCE I CAN DO TO HELP PRESERVE CAR?

tommcmanis
3,585

This trans is dealer service recomened as it MAY take special fluid and the fill plug will be a half inch round plug w a allen head. About mid way up on the exterior of the trans,DO NOT PULL THE ONE ON THE BOTTOM MASSIVE FLUID LOSS WILL OCCUR. As i was saying pull the top one insert the tip of your finger in the hole, if you get oil on the tip of your finger its full. You can call the v wee dealer and ask about fluid require ment too the will help. Hope that helps

Best Answer
masonmiller570
100

When you say on the exterior of the trans., do you mean the half inch hole is behind the front wheel behind a wall or is this hole somewhere in the engine? I'm a car idiot. I know what fluid it takes. I just don't know where this fill hole is located? Under the hood? Behind a Wheel? Beneath the engine? Please advise?

tommcmanis
3,585

The fill plug should be closest to the drivers tire. Give me just a minute and ill have the correct answer or link

tommcmanis
3,585

Behind the drivers wheel just a few inches from the bottom of transmission

masonmiller570
100

Awesome! Thank you very much. I asked a PT mechanic about it and he said, "it's probably behind the driver's side wheel." And he pointed to a part of the car where you can pull back a small door or opening and said that's probably where it's located. Very Odd!! But, it was 1998, i guess? Your answer verifies his findings. Thanks, bro. My email is eatmyaura@gmail.com is you need anything or are in the Harrisburg, Pa area. I appreciate it. Karma, baby. Peace.

tommcmanis
3,585

You are very welcome,thats why were all here

masonmiller570
100

Hello tommcmanis and everyone who helped me, Thank you. I have another dilemma. I put my key in the drivers side key entrance to unlock the door and when I pulled the key back out the whole 2-inch cylinder came out w/ the key n the alarm went off n windows went up/down. I got the alarm 2 stop and windows from freaking out; I just can't lock the car. I kept the cylinder part n every piece that went to it, but the metal at the back of the cylinder seemed to have just broke off whatever it was attached 2? Anyone have any suggestions?

tommcmanis
3,585

For tonite pull the dude so it will be quiet, tomorrow you'll need to remove the door handle just under the inside edge of the door there is a 4-6 mm allen screw remove it use care not to lose the nylon washer. There should be a set of wire connections that are connected to a round deal on back of lock the wire connections may require some fishing to get them back hopefully you didn't lose the tumblers out of the cylinder if all the timbers are present,you could be able to see how its set up,or if something is broken,usually the cyilnder is held in w a c clip. The c clip is a easy fix item,as long as all your tumblers are there.

tommcmanis
3,585

Fuse stupid smart phone

tommcmanis
3,585

Wow this phone makes it look like I have a 4 grade drop out education

masonmiller570
100

Wow! I was thinkin I had to pull some dude from the car? Ha! No way, DUDE! You have given me the best answers and have helped me very much............so, at least a 7th grade level.........Just Kidding. Thank you again.