where do I put in my transmission fluid - There is no visable dipstick -1999 VW Cabrio

Apache
25

Asked by Apache Nov 17, 2007 at 09:26 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

I'v taken my car to many oil change places and asked about filling or checking my transmission, but neither of the station could do it.  I was told that I must go to the dealer for service.  This is the first car that I had with this issus. Could you help me?

31,665

This is a common trend among new cars. The "theory" is that the transmission fluid should not require user service or checking for the first 100k miles or so, similar to the 5 year/100k mile antifreeze put in many newer vehicles. In reality, they've just made it a pain in the tail to do your own preventive maintenance. In the case of my wife's Jeep Liberty, there is a cap over the dipstick hole, which says "Dealer Use Only." I have not yet explored whether I could remove this cap, and replace it with a dipstick, but in my '07 Dodge Ram, I still have a dipstick. Have the dealership check it for you, and ask a tech that you trust how you might check it yourself in the future -- most will be happy to tell you.

VW98CREOLE
180

i have the same problem too.. I bought a vw cabrio about 6 months ago.. now i wanted to add and check the trans fluid but i couldn't find where to add or check it.. so i called a friend and when it shows up.. He showed me where to added.. I went and bought the can of oil for $32.00 to put into the car all the fluid came straight down to the grown.. Can anyone tell me what should i do and where should i go to find out where to add trans. fluid into this car.. Thank you

You think this is helpful.
Currivan09
100

You have to fill up from the tranmission pan . Take the plug out of the pan and fill with a hand pump.

DixieGirll93
230

I have a 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio automatic, and I want to know how to put trans fluid in, without spending a fortune at the dealership. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY.

Kim Webb
25

There's a short tube with a cap on it right in the front, your right hand side when facing the car. It's located under the hood however; u can only reach it from under the car. You must attach a long tube in order to refill the transmission. Be careful opening the cap, hold onto both the short tube & the top when pulling them apart to open.