Alarm is armed and the car won't start?

Cynthia Massmann
50

Asked by Cynthia Feb 10, 2011 at 05:33 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

My battery corrodes for some reason, if I forget to check on it, it won't charge and my battery drains. So yesterday, I went to start me car and say my displays were blank. Yep, dead battery. So I put it on the charger and cleaned the terminals. But now something has happened that didn't happen before. The car alarm is armed (I don't lock my doors, so I've never set the alarm), I open the door, it goes off. I can get it to stop from the passenger side, but not the driver side. But then, I stop it and try to start the car, not only will the car not even try to start, the alarm goes off again! I don't have an owner's manual for this car, the previous owner's had lost it (*grumbles*) and I'm not finding the answer on the net.

Mike Bonnell
8,405

Use the key to lock the car from the drivers door - Click it locked two / three times Wait 30 seconds - Unlock the car using the key in the drivers door UNlock the car two / three times See if the car starts - If not repeat from Passenger door ... Keep us informed.

Best Answer
Cynthia Massmann
50

It worked! Hurray!!! Thank you so much!

Chris Hsu
60

It's pretty easy actually - just click the unlock button on your remote, or put your key in the drivers side door and turn it to the left until the alarm goes off. Then you should be able to start the car no problem. If that doesn't work, try locking the car again, and unlocking with either the key or remote, or try putting the key in the iginition and turn to on, but don't start.

psmooth21
100

I have a question I'm trying to start the car but it won't start..... A night before this happen the car ran out of oil and shut off without starting again nothing died at all engine still work and everything. Sooooo I put oil in it and tried to have it jump but when it sound like it was starting the alarm started to go off and I don't know why I charge the battery and it stills goes off idk what to do but I need an answer for what to do when everytime I start the car the alarm goes off please someone answer me........

Wendy Mitchum
30

What happens if you are missing the keylocks on both doors?? Had to climb in the trunk to unlock the doors today because passenger one popped out(driver one popped out a few months back). Tried the battery disconnect. This is a smart car! Dang it!

Missanne
340

In my case..I had to reset my car alarm by using the key to unlock my TRUNK! It worked like a charm...no more problems with my alarm system..car starts and all is well!

Fkpeach
370

Question went to unlock my car(I have a 2001 cabrio vw) and it wldnt unlock key kept going around so it's striped but the alarm went off opening my door and I can't shut it off now start my car. How do I dis arm the alarm all together? I don't has the remote. Just my key which now doesn't work in the door. Pls help

melic
30

that advice totally worked woooh!!! ^o^

romo956
50

I need help yesterday my battery discharged and I took it to autozone so they can charge it for 2 hours and when I install the battery to my car my cat won't start and before I forget to type it I have a car alarm

Jolynn Armstrong
150

My car won't start at all at first all my displays showed then I switch the car in natural and it started but shut right back off. The same thing happened to me about a month ago it turned out to be the central fuse witch only took $13 dollars to replace. They disconnected the horn because the alarm wouldn't stop going off. Now the car is acting as if the battery is dead and I know its not. The car took a jump earlier today but now doesn't want to do anything and I mean nothing at all. My window won't roll up my doors won't lock. No lights come on at all. Except for the red button on the dash that blinks red only when my alarm is going off. And the light that tells me when a door is open. Also the first time this happened, once I got the car running again it must have blown something because my radio won't work either

Jolynn Armstrong
150

Now only sometimes when I try to start it the dash lights will come on other times it wont .sometimes when I try to start it it will try to turn over but never all the way and the alarm is still going off

santara
20

Thank you so much for this advice! My son and I had this problem today. Thought we were going to end up stranded, but I saw this excellent advice here and It worked like a charm!! Thanks again♡

Nicole Doucet
130

Help !! My 96 toyota Avalon won't start after the windows were left open in rain and alarm went off. We un plugged alarm under hood can't figure it out tried putting the key in the doors to unlock it and shut off security light but nothing seems to work please help

Derulo Digby
20

Hi all, My Subaru wont start even if professional mechanic people says its the fuel bump. My mate recons its the the alarm, and that it is causing false electrical stuff, is this true?

Mike Bonnell
8,405

Mark me as helpful please :O) Yer welcome sir