Loss of 5th gear in a manual transmission 1982 accord.

buuddman
0

Asked by buuddman Feb 15, 2010 at 02:41 PM about the 1982 Honda Accord Base Hatchback

Lost 5th gear in a manual transmission,  all the other gears work fine.  Is their a way to adjust the linkage or is their a bolt in the transmission that can be adjusted.  

Wally Gertz
135

Unfortunately, 5th gear is most likely gone for good. What happens in those trannys is 5th gear was sort of an afterthought and if the tranny is run low in oil, 5th gear will go out. The gear is stripped. Do not put more oil in the gearbox because all of the little metal chunks from the teeth will get pulled up into the gears and lock the trans for good. You can prob drive around with 4 gears for quite some time. I drove aroun for a year with 4 gears until I decided to fix it. I bought the new gearset to replace 5th gear. Then some chunks got sucked up and the trans was screwed. I bought a used junk yard tranny and swapped it in. I'm betting at this point they may be difficult to find due to age. Like I said before, I would drive it until it dies or have the tranny rebuilt properly by having it torn down and rebuilt. Good luck.