1996 ram 1500 5.9 turns over wont start need help

painter85
140

Asked by painter85 Dec 04, 2010 at 07:10 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT Standard Cab SB

truck started out running fine but would randomly die. wait a few minutes and would usually fire right back up. then it would randomly die again.. now it only turns over.no fire.tried a snap on diagnostic computer it said no fault detected.... changed coil,crank sensor, cam sensor. under the cap is clean,plugs and wires seem good. checked fuel pressure on the rail its good.checked some fuses and relays.still nothing today i tried to crank it over and nothing..  i jumped the starter with a screwdriver and it turns over fine but still wont start. could it be the ignition switch wore out and not making contact?

Justin Doucette
1,775

Pour some starting fluid down the throttle body and crank some more... if it still doesn't start or sputter then I would suspect your coil is culprit

painter85
140

i put on a new coil from napa. still nothing. i tried the starting fluid thing and it did run for a second starting fluid has a low flashpoint so wouldnt it just be kind of dieseling( for lack of a better word) from the compression?

painter85
140

and is there any way i could maybe run a hot wire to the coil like you can on older non fuel injected engines?

Justin Doucette
1,775

if it ran for a second with starting fluid then it's a fuel or timing issue. You said you checked the pressure at the rail and it was good... but how much pressure was there?

Danny Hayes
445

I would say it's the Throttle Position Sensor, and it won't give you a code, based on your description.

Braddy79
140

My dodge did the same thing and it was the pick-up under the distributer cap.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
525

you might check your ignition switches, mine started doin that on the first of january, if you take the plastic covers off the steering coloumn (right behind the steering wheel) youll see a little black box right under the ignition, theres a bunch of copper contacts in there, (part of the ignition) if one of those goes bad (mine did) youll have to get another ignition, very very very very easy to change out, youll need a special torx head bit to pull the (3) screws, if you try it and it doesnt work, then i dont have a clue what it could be

Justin Doucette
1,775

The "pick up" or pick up coil is the cam sensor... he said he changed it

Braddy79
140

My problem was the tiny flat "pick-up"sensor under the distributer cap.Not the camshaft sensor located on the side of the engine.

Justin Doucette
1,775

The little black disk under the distributor cap IS the cam sensor, it's also called the pick up plate or pick up coil.... I don't know what sensor your referring to on the side of the engine

Kyle G
85

Did you clean the Throttle Body?

Anthony Shores
5

try ur fuel filter or ur cat converter

Danielle Huto
15

Try your ground on your starter, if is lose that could possibly be an issue. Also when your cranking it over have someone put there hand on the computer if its start getting hot, then you could have a crapped out computer.

Cody Beckius
65

Try having your ecu looked at. mine recently went out and all it would do is crank

bulldog33
60

What is the ecu? I have just replaced my crank sensor,pick up sensor,fuel pump,checked injecters,checked coil and still it just cranks over. started running real rough like it wasnt getting any fuel,now it wont even start

chrissalvaggio
10

it on the passenger side on the back wall mine is doing the same thing i put a new computer in mine and it fixed it then it went out agan

bobbyyz450
0

my dodge is doin the same before i spend three hundred on a ecm could that be it

davescerbo
160

ok all u guys have had similar issues as mine..... i put fuel in it at the gas station and it wont start. i tried the starter fluid i changed the plugs, i believe that i have checked aeverything mechanically i know my ECM is good along with fuel pump/ pressure, and the o2 sensor is good. it has a bad tranny, and exhaust. could that be effedcting this at all? i recently had problems with the serp. belt due to a bad power steering pump. both have been replaced, would this have anything to do with it just not starting. she cranks and cranks and u can even hear the muffler begin/ want to begin to kick too. everything but that last turn over. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!1

filierika714
60

did you every get it fixed ? I am having same problems...

Robert Mangold
25

Check your Air intake valve. its on the back of your throtlle body had to replace mine twice.

Dodge101
155

Did you get it fixed? Sounds like it may have jumped time. mine is doing the same thing running a while, starting back up, sometimes runs for miles before it dies again. need help please!

Dodge101
155

Dodge101
155

Katy Smith
20

i had the problem and i replaced my distributor cap and rotor now 2 weeks later it doin the same thing idk whats wrong with mine but id try those to things if ur still havin issues

mistyrine
130

If it runs for awhile then dies, it sounds like a fuel filter. Mine cranks seems like it may try to start barely every once in awhile but doesn't. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and whir and that's what I had thought it was. Someone told me that these kind of fuel injections can get air in the lines sometimes for no reason and needs the pressure bled off. Is this true anybody know?

GPMOPAR
40

My 5.2 is doing the same thing. Thought is it was a Crank sensor so I tested it and it seems fine. I took another look at the fuel rail and released the pressure. For whatever reason, it started and ran a little rough at first then idled fine for at least 30 mins then died again and would restart. I'm starting to think it's fuel related and seemed like air trapped in the rails...

mistyrine
130

You know what it was? I replaced the coil and got it started then the next day it wouldn't start again. It was still turning over. I never had a problem with it until I had bought a new battery. Didn't think it was that because it was still cranking and the cold cranking amps on the new one were higher than the old! But I took the battery back and got an even higher one than was called for on that truck and it's fine. Haven't had a problem since. It is pretty easy to relieve the pressure on the fuel rail. I did that too but I don't think that was any of the problem.

mistyrine
130

K spoke too soon. Drove it 400 miles or more no problem but I just was pullin into a convenience store and it died before I could pull all the way up. Would not start again but was still turning over just real rough sounding. Had someone come. Tried to jump it in case it's the alternator and the battery somehow went dead enough not to run it, and it started up and ran about 4 stops so far. Had em check battery and alternator, all good!!! WTF??? Just don't want to drive and have it do that again and get stranded. Don't even know what else to check.

GPMOPAR
40

It's a PITA! I brokke down and bought a fuel pressure tester. pressure is good then the truck actually started! fuel remained at 48-50 psi right through to when it died a few minutes later. I'm ruling out fuel and concentrating on spark. I think the PCM is randomly cutting out the coil power due to a possible sensor problem. The crank sensor is still a suspect but I cannot figure out where to look at this point. I've ordered a scan tool converter and software for a look inside. Hopefully I'll have it later this week and try to figure out what's going on in there!

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
525

has anyone checked their oil and fluid levels?, check all fuses, maybe a the relays, if any one of you has a perfomance chip plugged intop the ecu, pull it and plug the harness back in without the chip, some of you may have a bad ignition switch, one problem i had i was in the middle of a veeerrry cooolld winter my truck wouldnt start as easy, i later found out (mine is automatic trans) that the shifter was barely enough in park so it would crank all day, but it was hitting every sensor because it wasnt in park 100%, check that as well, the stupidest little things can cause a big ass problem, hope any of these helps some of you guys

dodgeguy24
0

change youyr crank shaft sensor it worked for me

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
525

have you guys fixed your problems yet? do any of you have performance chips or programmers plugged into the pcm? if so, pull it, make sure the connections are clean and dry, plug the harness back in w/o the chip and your problems will be gone, if this is not the case, check you engine oil and trans fluid, i know some trucks have sensors to shut the truck down if its too low on a fluid, it cud also be the contact in your ignition box, its a pain in the ass to change if you dont have the right tools because chrysler used special screws, you can buy the kit at a parts store, any way, try a new or another ignition, had this problem with my 96, you can hot wire it if you know what your doing and have experiance in fuckin shit up lol, the set up for these style ignitions is ruhtarded, but its very simple to change out, and is very well a suspect in your issues, sometimes itll work just fine, and the right bump can jiggle things inside and shut off the truck

wedopapa
40

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm check this website out. Your truck between 94-97 will tell you what is wrong with itself. When you turn it on and off do it kind of fast. Just told me my pick up coil is bad

revandy
70

my 94 dodge 1500 5.2 did like many above experienced; i can tell you that if you do not have at least a 12 volt reading going to where you plug into the coil that your truck wont start. my truck ran fine always and one day i pulled out the driveway and noticed a coughing like back fire coming from air filter. so i replaced all my obvious tune up parts. new coil,cap&rotor o2 sensor wires, plugs, cam position sensor in the distributor and my truck started up and did exactly the same thing. i tested all realays and swapped them out to be certain. still the same. the next morning the truck wont start and i found there is no dc volts going to the coil from the plug in. so now i can not even start the truck it just turns over and no ignition. if i can find out what is causing no volts at the coil plug in leads then i can solve every ones problems. but to date not one person can tell me what feeds those two coil wires that plug into the coil. i have only two suspects 1. the brain and two the ignition switch every thing else has been replaced new. so what feeds the coil its voltage and i found every ones problem. dont be like me and buy all the wrong parts for hundreds of dollars. always first confirm that when the ign. is in the on position you have volts at your coil. if you dont you experienced what i have experienced. and im on it with 35 years as a mechanic im ashamed to have to ask fo help.

GPMOPAR
40

My problem turned out to be a combination of both the crank sensor and then the new coil. I replaced the 1.5 year old coil as a precaution so after all the fuss with two crank sensors, the new coil was also faulty. I put the older coil back on and no more problems. If there is no voltage at the coil, are you able to use a scanner to see if the computer and relay are energizing the circuit? Assuming the battery is fine and all of the grounds are making a good connection, you should be able to follow the trail to the computer. It's possible the output for this circuit is fried.

Heather D
30

Please check your wiring harness Dodge has lots of problem with these. Turn your key on to the run position and go back to the harness if you hear a high pitched wine its a short in the harness listen close. Because it want be loud

Jackie Barnett
35

everyone seems to have the same problem that we had on our 96 ram 1500 we checked everything we thought but turn to find out it was our secondary ground wire.

RAMSST
10

I had my truck towed the other day to a Midas after I had spent an hour or so trying to figure this out. Most of the same symptoms as mentioned here. I have a 97 RAM 5.9 SST 282k miles. I've done enough work on the truck to know when I don't have gas or no spark. I figured out an issue 2 yrs before my fuel pump died, so I know when there are other basic issues. The Symptoms Started: 4 weeks before, my truck had a rough time starting and getting spark, eventually it caught spark and started running rough, and I let it warm up. I had other issues where it just ran rough for a while, but didn't seem to think it was an issue. Maybe rain, I had read it had something to do with moisture in the distributor cap. 1 week later, my truck had not wanted to run at all after a heavy evening of rain. I literally took off the air filter, jiggled wires around the distributor cap, tried pulling a spark plug, and turned the engine over a bit. Put the plug back in, and it started and I let it run a it to warm up. Never had an issue since, and I drive it every day usu 30 miles. Never trust dumb luck, it was just a warning of a future failure. Recently, I drove my truck a few times in the 20F temps. I stopped the truck after it was pretty much warmed up, then it would not start. Maybe got a few firings then nothing. I tried the same magic as before, but I figured the coil must have gone for good this time, The verdict was in, Midas replaced my distributor, the cam sensor, and the coil. It started right up. The cap and rotor were in great shape and didn't need replacing. Overall, it was $500. It was about 0F outside today, so I think it was worth it. In hindsight, I think even if I had replaced the coil, the sensor was likely the main issue.

Makwa
10

I have had this problem on two separate 96 dodge trucks and the engine temp sensor was the culprit both times. cold climate environment for both trucks one failure in the winter one in the summer

RAMSST
10

Here's something else. After getting my truck "fixed" at Midas, within days I still noticed an intermittent but hard to detect misfire, but my check engine light did not come on for (now three) weeks after. This past weekend, I noticed one thing, it finally came on and I definitely had misfirings. Well, they had left a spark plug wire not attached into its plastic holder, but rather it was hanging against my manifold. So, that had melted and was arching. I taped that up so I could drive home and fix it later when it warmed up. I drove 5 hours the next day, no major issues, but the same kind of light misfirings were still occurring. It seemed as if it was occasionally missing or having a weak spark, but really no backfires. ... so the day after that... Last night I'm driving home during the sleet and rain after it gets above freezing finally, and I drove thru a large puddle and my truck stalls out. After the cop shows and I call a tow, 15 minutes later, I'm able to start my truck again. I begin to link my stalling with the rain. Again, no water near the distributor cap, etc. Although, I realized my coil was getting wet. I read a post last night on a Dodge forum that I should start the truck and spray these parts one at a time with water to see where it is effecting the ignition. As I checked out the coil before I did this, I noticed the coil wire and the power to the coil were arching during idle. I moved the wire more than 1 inch away and it ran fine. Then I sprayed it, and the truck stalled out. There's another answer for anyone else who has had this issue. The wires can not be close to the coil, and I'm pretty sure Midas screwed that up, too. Something about insulating the connections might be part of the issue here too.

tim_ramey123
20

Theres a little wire on the bottom of the distptor if you mess with. It your truck will start right up and when its dies you mess with that wire and she starts right up we have a dodge and it destoyed our computer because that little wire

rallard851
80

My truck just dies while im driving. Then I will let it sit and it will start and drive then die again. I got it started and just idled for 5 min and drove home with no problem. Can anyone give me a definative answer as to why?

rallard851
80

Code reader says exaust leak and o2. I do have an exaust manifold gasket leak and. No exaust from about the cab back. Also I, have no reverse