03' F250 7.3 diesel engine light and shuts down after short periods of running?

MEBrown
0

Asked by MEBrown Sep 30, 2013 at 08:52 AM about the 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4 Dr XLT 4WD Extended Cab LB

I have a F250 7.3 Diesel that the engine light came on and will only run a short dostance before it shuts down. Truck will start up a run a short distance and shut down. What couble be the issues? Thanks for your help!

bearkat
0

This is an EASY problem to fix. It is your CPS (cam position sensor). It will run anywhere from $50 bucks on eBay to $150 on other websites. Ford did a recall a few years back on this part. So you may want to check and see if Ford will replace yours. If not, no big deal. The sensor is located at the front of the engine at the bottom of the block. You will know it when you see it. Unplug the sensor and pull out the single bolt. Use a pair of channel locks to get wiggle the CPS free. Simply replace the CPS and put the bolt back in. That's it. This should not take you more than 20 min. max. And in case you were wondering why this little part is making such a mess, it is due to the function of the CPS. What it does is watch for a missing tooth on the gear. The idea is if it does not see this tooth the truck is having a massive failure and there for shuts down the engine to reduce the damage. Once the CPS goes out and cannot relay the message the computer thinks there is a issue and kills the engine. Smart idea but, once the CPS goes out you're out of luck.