7.3 diesel stalls

solimar
35

Asked by solimar Apr 05, 2011 at 06:08 PM about the Ford F-250 Super Duty

When it's cold, my 7.3 diesel starts up and during warm up it goes into fast idle. When the fast idle disengages, the engine stalls. I'll be driving along and it'll stall even at 40mph as if I turned the ignition off. It starts right up after each stall then it runs fine for the rest of the day. Replaced the fuel filter and the cam position sensor with no change. I connected an OBDll and got 0 readings. Anyone out there have a similar problem?

papa

check the cold start valve,could be sticking or going bad.

solimar
35

Thanks for the advice...Is the cold start valve known by another name? I looked it up in the Ford manual and it's not mentioned at all. Thnx again

papa

NO its not in the manual,your local parts store will have it,that is what its called,dont buy from advance auto or autozone,go to your independent parts store,their parts are a lot better & reliable.

solimar
35

Thanks for the info. I've searched every auto store including a Ford parts dealer and no one knows anything about a "cold start valve". Where is it located on the engine? I really appreciate your input. I've heard that I may have some loose connections but I have to remove the valve covers. Before I do that, I want to explore other possibilities. Thanks again for your help.

papa

tell them it is the part that fires the fuel during start up..

solimar
35

I ran the truck all summer without any problems but as soon as the air temperature got colder, the problem resurfaced and the stalling gradually got worse. I was fortunate to find a pair of ex-Ford dealer mechanics who opened up their own shop in Forked River, NJ who diagnosed it and found a faulty HP chip on the computer to be the cause. They removed the chip, re-flashed the CPU and it runs better than ever. They specialize on Ford diesel engines and transmissions and I would highly recomend them to anyone looking for reasonably priced quality work. They didn't even charge for the diagnosis.

papa

glad you got it fixed.