fuelproblem??? Mercedes 560 SEL shuts down after starting while idling, sometimes while driving

Hunce45
0

Asked by Hunce45 Oct 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM about the 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 4 Dr 560SEL Sedan

My 560 SEL sometimes shuts off after starting, or shuts off while driving.  If it shuts off while driving, the yellow indicator light to the left of the fuel gauge for the reserve tank use comes on, but the fuel tank is not low (happens when full and not in reserve tank). The car restarts, runs for several seconds and shuts off again.  This cycle is repeated several times and then it stays running and you're on your way until it happens again.  Makes driving it completely unpredictable and undependable.  I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor....it still happens...Any ideas on what to do next?

Sailor
10

I have been experiencing a similar problem on my 1990 560 SEL. After I run for awhile (25 miles or so), the engine will suddenly lose power and stall. I have to pull over, put in park, and restart - which it does without problem. Going down busier roads, I purposely will be in the right hand lane as it will happen intermittently. Seems to run fine otherwise. Fuel is good. Spark must be good. Air is good. I paid $30 for an on-line answer and the guy told me it was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Ordered that part and the local garage guy couldn't fine where to put it in. Talked to another guy who works on Mercedes and he thought that wouldn't be the problem but might be more relay related. I think he meant fuel related. But I don't why a relay would "behave" again when I can restart moments after it might have overheated. Returned the sensor. I ordered a manual to try to do more troubleshooting on my own but due to the paucity of responses to this problem - I wonder if it is unique to age/mileage and if it is limited to a declining population of models. My car has about 179,000 miles and I had plugs, wires, distributor, fuel filter, air filter, all changed out in a major service several thousand miles ago. Anybody got any ideas?

papa

it has a fuel shut off switch in the trunk,it may be going bad,have it replaced.

Sailor
10

My problem was the fuel pumps. One was bad and the other was on its way out.

nifty_car
10

My '89 560 SEL had problem starting when hot. It would start again after sitting for a while. I took it to a Mercedes mechanic who put in a new fuel pump relay which solved my problem. W.T.

stevesdb
0

Fuel Pump Relay is most likely and most common cause. So much so that I carry a spare in the trunk ! Same is true for 500SEL series (had one of those also)