Brake pads were replaced and now my truck shimmy's when braking.

jpurdy
10

Asked by jpurdy Nov 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM about the 2001 Toyota Tundra 4 Dr Limited V8 4WD Extended Cab SB

I've since had the rotors turned again and new pads installed again which solves the problem for a few weeks but then the problem returns.  I have even replaced the rotors although we reused the existing pads.  I would appreciate any ideas.

santapaws1
420

sounds like your calipers are sticking and your rotors are getting warped

Amy Kauper
115

a Complete brake job usually means new rotors, calipers and pads...eliminates any problems and with a 2001, I have an '02 w/122k and replacing everything makes the truck act/stop like new!

John Leone
5,285

how long of a time span were the old pads on the old rotors (even cut) before they were put on the new rotors? Do oyu feel the shaking more in the seat (your ass) or steering wheel and dash board? if you feel it in the wheel/dash more, it is coming from the front, if you feel it on the floor, or seat more it is from the rear....calipers aren't changed often., only when there is a problem, still too many options to go buying more parts...

Best Answer
jpurdy
10

the old pads were on a couple of months before changing the rotors. The pads and rotors have never been replaced at the same time but the dealer turned the rotors and put on new pads which only helped for a few weeks. They then suggested replacing the entire front end. This all began from an out-of-town break job and I suspected that they didn't turn the rotors. Should I try new rotors and pads or maybe calipers?

John Leone
5,285

no calipers, u r throwing money away, personally i dont cut rotors anymore, why, do the job yourself, safe money, it is easy to do...the pads can wear to the shape of the old rotor, and not have the surface needed for a new rotor, hence shimmy, please tell where the vibration is mostly felt...

jpurdy
10

the shimmy is definitely in the front. It's worse when I'm stopping at high speeds. Thanks for your help.

John Leone
5,285

it only vibrate when braking, no other speeds, such as a bent rim? you may rotate the tires to eliminate them from the check list... make sure all the suspension parts seem tight, any arm or loose parts will do that..calipers may be loose, any rattling noise, all seem tight? but with new rotors, have the company warranty the pads if they will for a brand new set (if it is possible and not a shop). any lights on, like abs, traction control while braking, to eliminate those systems?

John Leone
5,285

you can look into the calipers, and tell if they are working properly by lines/indications or wear patterns on the new pads, and old ones, also, can u tell which side does it more?

TonytheWoodsman
1,085

If the a caliper isn't releasing properly, the rotor can heat up by the friction and then get uneven spots that can cause the vibration. Or if the pad slide area is corroded on the caliper, the pad might get stuck against the rotor and cause the same thing.

You think this is helpful.
fence
0

I experienced the same problem and found that it was not an uncommon problem, possibly due to poor brake engineering... The advice I received was to replace the rotors with slotted and/or drilled rotors re: sport rotors...EBC Brakes, around $56 each plus pads $43 to $52....Good luck

01bigjon
795

Are you riding the bks metallic pads will get rotors hot and with heat come. War page.knew rotors schould be turned people don't know this Bit it's true,thin thin cut, last longer and gets ride of hot spots

01bigjon
795

Shims and anti rattle clips are very important,they break and are left off And the will vibrate make noise and drive you crazy.replace and cleas surface of caliper slides real good clean and degrease sliders.