1991 TOYOTA TERCEL: Cooling Fan does not engage in town or on highway- immediately overheats....after thermostat what & how to trouble shoot next?

Thr4iam
0

Asked by Feb 04, 2013 at 06:49 PM about the 1991 Toyota Tercel 4 Dr DX Sedan

1991 TOYOTA TERCEL: Cooling Fan does not engage in town or on highway- immediately overheats....after
thermostat what & how to trouble shoot next?

7jimmy7
16,705

trouble shoot the fan that should have been first,

the thermoswitch is a little white plug goodie- you'll find these online.

81,155

You shouldn't be coming close to needing a cooling fan on the highway. You have a 60 mile a hour breeze blowing through the radiator. Check your fluid level. Make sure your cap seal is good and on tight. Bleed out air bubbles if your engine has the valves. --- Are you using coolant? If you turn on the heater, is it hot? Have you blown a head gasket?

CHEEEP. if this doesn't work (am certain that it will) your cost will be a little more than an airport coffee!

7jimmy7
16,705

is that a belt driven clutch fan,? if so the fan clutch is bad and lost all of its liquid viscous juce, and disregard all other answers, lol.

@7jimmy7 do you not think they'd have stated 'has lost the coolant' in the description? This whole still overheats at freeway speed doesn't sit well-

'Fan does not engage' tells me either the fan is bad, or instructions to turn on the fan were no longer in place. hence the thermostatic switch...the previous conclusion.

no jimmy can't be. this is one that's glammed onto the radiator-

7jimmy7
16,705

got it , henc after stat! ok its maby stat upsidedown, not opening, no circulation to fan tripper ?? some of these guys are capable of anything just like us

...still I've mentioned this before, and you guys thought I was crazy, but the waterpump fins can be comprimized either by corrosion or mechanical scrubbing away all the important half. Yes, the water pump is still there, just isn't doin the job.