why does the brake light on dashboard stay on?

maam
0

Asked by maam Feb 14, 2007 at 06:51 PM about the 1997 Toyota Camry LE

bovan
10,790

Hello maam-- The brake light is meant to tell you that you have a problem with your brakes and you should have a mechanic check it out for you. Many times it is just a faulty warning light, but you want to make sure you have good brakes, don't you. They are most useful when you have to stop. Take it to a professional and he can plug your car into a computer which reads the OBD II codes on your car. If it is the brakes the problem could be a loss of brake fluid, a worn or leaky master cylinder, a faulty brake booster or even something as simple as a stuck emergency brake lever. Have it checked as soon as you can. Good luck from Bovan.

WheelerDealer
2,655

The emergency brake on my '97 Camry sometimes stays engaged just a little bit after I press the button and drop the arm, especially in cold weather. If you press the button and push the emergency-brake arm all the way down firmly, rather than just dropping it, maam, I hope that will fully disengage the emergency brake and turn that light on your dashboard off. Good luck!

rob888888
670

Forget EVERYTHING else you have ever heard about this as it's a ONE MINUTE job to fix it. Firstly check brake fluid level.If it's at the full mark,which it probably is, don't add more fluid. And make sure that the light has been coming on for at least a day or two,usually intermittently, and make certain that the brakes still work perfectly,which they probably do.Basically the dash board light is faulty(common problem with camrys.) All you need to do to PERMANATELY stop the false "brake" light warning coming on is unclip the electrical connector on the side of the brake fluid container.Push the side of the connector in so you can disconnect it,narrow pliers or flat head screwdriver (fairly narrow) makes it a little easier to do.The connector is white plastic and has a series of small wires coming out of it. Forget everything else you have heard and do this and you will NEVER have that light come on again,unless you put the hand brake on as this is a seperate electrical circuit.For those who don't know where the brake fluid container,or reservoir is,it's under the bonnet DIRECTLY in front of where the driver sits,it's right in front of you so it's easy to get to. It's in this spot for both 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder versions.Whatever you do don't see a mechanic or auto electrician,they will say it's something else and charge you hundreds of dollars, evil barstards!!!!!! You will need to do a visual brake fluid check once a month or so,which is easy as the container is see through and has full and low markings on it.Do this and the problem is fixed for good,and for free.

You think this is helpful.
Rich888888
50

Rob is absolutely correct. I followed hid instructions and now my cruise control works as well

exscizxo
140

This is not the correct way to fix this problem. You are telling people to disconnect their low brake level sensor. Why not just tell them to replace the sensor? This seems easier. Mechanics don't charge hundreds of dollars to people just for the fun of it. Their is diagnosing to be done and they deserve to be paid for their work just as you do. Also mechanics work on several different types of cars, so knowing immediately what a random light's problem is next to impossible. Not saying you should take your car to a mechanic for every problem especially if you are a do-it-yourselfer like myself, but some problems should be taken in and not rigged.

MamaZ
80

I have taken my car into a very reputable company my "friends" work at. They know exactly what the problem is but will not fix it unless I pay them $300.00 for a job that takes 2 seconds to do because of some book they use that tells them how long it should take to fix it and therefore how much to charge. While fully within their rights to be paid for the work they do for me I feel taken advantage of as a widow because they know I am not going to look up the information and fix it myself. Some " friends "! While those price books keep people from being charged to much it does not guarantee a person's integrity or humanity to help someone out that needs help. I am not trying to take advantage of these guys. When I feel like I am being properly cared for I really talk them up to my friends and encourage them to take their business to them. That translates into thousands of dollars they never had for a couple hundred dollar savings to me, but treat me like I am just another customer to rape and pillage and I will take my business else where and I have.