why wont my 2006 impala ss turn over?

redlion27
0

Asked by redlion27 Oct 25, 2012 at 06:43 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS

My '06 impala ss wont start or turn over . I checked the battery at 12.40 vdc. checked all the fuses and tried disconnecting the battery to reboot the system with no luck. It shifts out of park with the key in the accessory position but not the ON position. I could hear the clicking noise from the brake pedal to the shifter in the accessory position but not the on position.

12,825

Bad ignition switch. The contacts inside aren't contacting

lfsiple
5

There are two seperate switches that will interuprt the ingition starter.One is located on the steering colume under the dash about half way up and is link by a rod to the ignition switch on the colume you turn with the key.All the key does is move the linkage to the proper position to allow your car to start in neutral or park.Try starting it in neutral if is starts there,but not in park it is the switch that is easily removed by two 10mm bolts*before you remove the switch apply your parking brake and put the car in neutral and disconect the ground cable*once you have the switch loose carfefully disconnect the retaining clip and rod from the switch and last unplug the wires going to it.(Auto Zone or other parts dealers carry these and if not they can have one in a day or two tops)Just reverse oder make sure the switch is in the same position as the old one and sug it upif it will go into park and lock into position you have it right if not just put it back to neutral and slide it slightly in one direction,snug and try it again,once it will go into park you have it set and can tighten it and that should solve your problem.First before you do change this switch out check and make sure your starter is working and the grounds are very clean,there is one that goes from the engine to the body and engine to the groung terminal post as well.This might save you having to deal with the switch,it doesn't hurt to make sure first.The other method of setting these switches is, when you have it installed to the ignition push rod assembly is to leave it fairly loose and pull it into reverse and snug it down and then try to put it into park to where it should lock up the wheel and the shifter,however if you have not done it this way many times it can leave you confused and not knowing where you left off and which way to set the switch,which is to turn it counter clockwise or clockwise and you don't have a lot of room to move it to the proper position and also is why I told you to do it the other way.If that does not solve it you have a soleniod out,it should be on the starter,some engines that I've seen in the ss series have had them on the fender like a ford starter,but it should be on the starter.Pull it off(the starter in whole) take it to any Auto Zone and they will test it for no fee and then you will know if you need the starter motor or the seleniod the best is to buy the best with a lifetime warranty for the few dollars extra from 8-14 dollars on the average.You can starter at this point first if you wish and it is alot easier then the colume swicth and less time consuming.Good Luck on your project,Len/Siple's services of texas/ A Division of Outer Limits Farms of Texas.

12,825

There is no longer a linkage its all electronic. Same concept but the mechanical components have been taken out and its now all inside a small plastic box that connects directly to the back of lock cylinder.