Replace motor on 2001 Outback

jlucas67
0

Asked by jlucas67 Mar 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

Need to replace motor on my 2001 Outback 5 speed manual transmition. Can a motor from an automatic model be adapted to fit a maunual shift model. What would be involved in the change over.

Colin Stormy
75

if its the same motor with auto tranny it will be pretty simple bolt up. make sure the bolt pattern for the tranny and block are the same. shouldnt be a bad swap to do.

Planeman
125

May not be quite as simple as that. Check the size of the input shaft on the manual tranny versus the auto frequently they are different sizes and will not mate up, there may also be some different electrical connections between the two, as well as a difference in the main computer programming. I would look hard for a more compatible engine swap. Are you purchasing a new crate motor or swapping in a junkyard engine?