Will be looking at a 2005 Legacy 2.5i wagon that is for sale, just learned that it has 175K miles, which is high. Seller, is original owner and has all service records. Is this a risky purchase?

kkgn25
0

Asked by kkgn25 Feb 04, 2013 at 06:47 PM about the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i

67,955

Not if the price is right and it passes a pre purchase inspection from your local mechanic that your going to ask for.

kkgn25
0

hes asking 6400$ what do you think the fair price is?

Derek Dilts
85

The thing to do is to compare those service records to the recommended maintenance schedule to see if it was followed. Most importantly, make sure the timing belt has been replaced at around 105k miles, and that the transmission fluid has been changed at least a few times. Subarus, especially the non-turbo models, last for a long time if properly maintained. That said, they can be a major headache if not. Make sure the tires all have the same tread depth. Uneven tire wear can cause the differentials to wear out, a common problem on higher mileage Subarus.

Best Answer
kkgn25
0

Thank you Tom and Derek for your informative and insightful answers. Much appreciated!

Jeff Banko
55

i just bought an 05 legacy gt with 95k for 10k, was a really good deal, see when if at all the head gaskets were replaced

Dogbone
215

Do not buy UNLESS head gaskets already replaced, preferably by dealership or other reliable shop. Also pay close attention to timing belts, 2.5 liter Subarus are INTERFERANCE engines, so timing belts have got to be replaced on schedule (every 105k miles or sooner).