Legacy 04 Stuck in park, fuse (20Amp) for brake light blown.

guyjohn
0

Asked by guyjohn Dec 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM about the 2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition Wagon

I have changed out both rear brake light bulbs and checked fittings but fuse still blows after a few minutes. I pulled all the lamps from the light bar with no changes. What else can I try please?

TonytheWoodsman
875

There must be a shorted wire. Follow the wiring looking for the shorted wire. Also you could try a 20 amp circuit breaker in place of the fuse.

guyjohn
0

Thanks Tony I have Spent the morning isolating as much of the wiring as I can with out any success. I now have a wiring diagram. If I replace the fuse and with all the rear lights disconnected buy pulling plugs, the fuse will last about 3-4 minutes with the brake operated before it blows. It looks now that the cruise control module is a possible problem. As it takes so long for the fuse to operate I am less inclined towards a wire short. Any ideas?

TonytheWoodsman
875

If the fuze blows after 3 to 4 min. there just might be high of a draw on it, or an intermittent short in a component. Is 20 Amp the correct size fuse? I ran into a problem with an overdrive button occasionally shorting and blowing the fuze. That's when we put in the circuit breaker fuze. It would trip, and open the circuit, then close and we would have power again. That way we didn't have to keep changing the fuze.