Stuck in park is there a way to move it?

daryl_driskill
0

Asked by daryl_driskill Oct 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM about the 1994 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L Sedan

94 Subaru Legacy
Stuck in park
Is there a way to work around it and get it out of park so I can have it checked out?
I DO NOT want to pay to have it towed to the shop.

Jeff Smith
1,205

You could disconnect the rear drive shaft and the front axles, but that is a lot more work than you probably want to deal with.

Nick Eidemiller
3,145

there should be a fuse you can put a socket in the center console, it's tucked away under the trim for the gear select. That will allow you to put it in neutral to tow it.

wlogan
1,080

you are able to to start it and unlock the steering, correct ?

Nick Eidemiller
3,145

well it wont change if it wont start, you can unlock the steering just by turning the key to run.

wlogan
1,080

all i see in the question is its stuck in park. it always pays to ask.. turning the key to the on position and putting your foot on the brake will allow you to take it out of park if the switch on the brake activates the switch on the shifter, right ? just putting your foot on the brake won't allow you to do this, correct ? so if the key turns to on and the steering is unlocked you need to check for power to the switch on the brake and if you have continuity there with the brake pressed, you then need to check the switch on the shifter, i would think.. just making sure.

Nick Eidemiller
3,145

that is somewhat correct, it wont let you shift the gear selector in most auto Subarus unless the engine is running so if their car wont start it is stuck in park. However there is a circuit built into the system also that when the fuse is put in place and closing the loop it sends power to the shifter release and allows you to select gears (ie: neutral) without the engine running. This is the problem as I understand it.