what would cause the speedometer to quit

zoomzoom71
0

Asked by zoomzoom71 Oct 04, 2012 at 08:13 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

while driving my 2006 cobalt my speedometer will quit working and it sounds like its gonna stall.but if you mash the throttle to the 7000 redline it will seem to move .if you stop and restart  everything is ok again the vss on my scan tool reads 0mph evn if im doing 30 mph  im thinking it may be the output speed sensor on the transmission or even a faulty key switch  even though i have no dtc . any suggestions or hints?

Kevin Walters
5

PROBABLY THE STEPPER MOTOR IN THE GUAGE CLUSTER ITSELF. GM HAS LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THESE ON YUKON/TAHOES PICK UPS AND IMPALAS THAT I KNOW OF. MAYBE CHECK THE GM TECH BULITTEN AND SEE IF THE COBALT IS LISTED.IT CAN BE FOUND ONLINE

zoomzoom71
0

thanks for the suggestion,but i figured out that the problem was the transmission output speed sensor was bad. i replaced it and it is now fixed .