When i start my car up it just revs up to 4000 rpm i put it in drive it goes to 3000 rpm.. What could be doing thec

Theebone30
0

Asked by Theebone30 Dec 19, 2013 at 01:04 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

It has new plugs n wires , n EGR
valve .. Its the 3.1 v 6 engine

judge_roy

I'd look at the fuel pressure regulator...the vacuum hoses to it...replace all butyl rubber with silicone rubber....for reliable service~

zoneman
595

Is it actually turning 4000 RPM, then 3000 RPM or is your tachometer just gone crazy. Seems to me if the transmission was any good the car would lurch forward with the front tires smoking. If it's not doing this you mave more than just a "high idle" problem. Good luck with it!!

14,855

Could be a dirty throttle butterfly holding the throttle open, could be a floor mat holding the gas pedal down a tad. Very little gas needs to be applied to achieve4000rpm neutral, I doubt the idle air control solenoid would open far enough for this to happen but that is also a possibility.

flej22
10

sounds like its sucking air, I had a vacuum line came off and did the same thing, so look for vacuum leaks.

judge_roy

silicone lines like the cops use and what BMW and Mercedes uses...for reliability~

fcars
0

my car jumps to 4000 and i put in to gear it lowers to 3000 and then as it gos it goes faster i took the throttle cable of and throttle plate is closed on 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM V6 SE whats wrong with my car

14,855

Could be idle air control stuck open, vacuum leak, You are positive the throttle is 100% closed, could be the cruise control cable, the throttle plate doesn't need to be opened very much to achieve 4000 rpm.