Where am I from

walnuts129
20

Asked by walnuts129 Mar 18, 2013 at 01:09 AM about the 1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Will exaust leak cause loss in performance

fergie43762
485

Not normally

fergie43762
485

Is there any fluid lost

walnuts129
20

Well I got a total split in exaust pipe after the cat its a turbo will that cause me any issues with turbo losing power....no lost fluids

fergie43762
485

It might from loss of back pressure

walnuts129
20

That's what I figured ima fix it up and see from thhat....b4 it went bad it seemed alot faster and I noticed the turbo and herd it kick in but after the seperation I didn't hear it and notice the same amount of boost....and is the split in exaust causing me gas mileage

fergie43762
485

Hard to tell BC with the power loss u might have been pressing harder on the gas to compensate

Best Answer
walnuts129
20

When u said lost fluid what did u mean by that what should I look out for im good on oil and coolant what other fluid would u mean

fergie43762
485

None other than what u said. When freeze plugs blow there's a massive loss of power but it doesn't all go at once.when it starts its just a tiny leak something like 16oz a week then next thing u know you've got to be towed home after a little while but u shouldn't have to worry bout this right know

62,495

There would be no loss of power. If anything there would be an increase because exhaust gasses are flowing freer through the turbo. -- The increased noise will tend to make the driver not spin the engine as high. Most drivers get used to a certain amount of noise to mark when they shift gears.

walnuts129
20

It seems since the exaust leak I had the power loss I thought these cars ran off the back pressure cause b4 the split in the pipe the thing ran alot better

62,495

Back pressure is used on normally aspirated engines to draw the fuel charge into the cylinder. Turbos use pressure to push the fuel charge in. Sometimes they will ignite the charge early (low revs) to send a fiery blast through the turbo to reduce turbo lag. --- Take a couple of 0-60 runs, fix the exhaust, and take a few more. That should answer your question about a power loss.