why is there a distinct lag from the time I push on the gas to the actual accelaration?

cdill
0

Asked by cdill Feb 15, 2008 at 01:31 PM about the 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Primarily from a stop and even sometimes at different speeds, the car does not respond quickly when I step on the gas.  If I am making a turn into traffic I have to factor in this extra second or two when nothing is really happening.  The dealer said this is normal because of the turbo.  

Does this sound resonable?

casper271
4,875

Turbo lag is the term. Most turbo equipped cars suffer from this fate, Take out a mid 70's Porche 911 turbo and hit it going into the corner, If you can keep it straight. This has been one of the downfalls of the "turbo", but with out it, most if not all the performance in your car would be lost. If the lag is too long, ask the dealer to drive it with the Dignostic computer hooked up, Or "test drive" another A4 turbo and see how they compare. Best of luck.

cdill
0

thanks Casper! Great suggestions. I will pass them on to my mom who drives it most. The lag to me seems minimal if you learn how to drive with it, but my Mom has had some close calls with it pulling into traffic...

James III
205

This is reasonable, but not too reasonable. Turbo lag shouldn't be something you have to "factor in" during every day driving, especially on a stock car from a dealership. General rule of thumb: the larger the turbo, the more time it needs to spool up, the slower your initial response. HOWEVER, a turbo should make up for on the top end, what it lacks on the bottom end.

Jeff Dickinson
95

The 2.0T engine itself does a very good job at reducing turbo lag at all. automatics tend to be slower to respond. i have a gti with the same engine, and as a manual, there isnt hardly any delay.

Jonathan Camp
65

these engines sometimes suffer from fuel pressure problems. i work for audi and recently replaced fuel pressure sensors on an a3 2.0 t quattro, and on 2004 a4, with the 2.0 fsi a fuel pump

Andrew Buskirk
0

Another Thing that is a potential problem if the "turbo lag" is to long to really be blamed for it all, you might wanna check the back pressure of your exhaust which could be a problem as well

Bruno-Pierre Berthiaume
5

It totaly normal, becausse the piping of the turbo to the intyercooler in audi a4 is very to long.... I don't want to explain but the time of the air for pass the turbo to the intercooler make a lag... And also the gaz pedal is not action by a standar wire, it's action by electronic wire...so it's more long for the car to realize you want the maximum of capacities...sooooo The only solution is to install a front mount intercooler to diminu the longer of piping.... You can not change the gaz wire....just if you change the trootle and you all reprogram the cumputer and all ratio and also ALLLLLLLL

A Facebook user
35

it's also the ECU settings...cuz the ECU takes it's time to figure out how much force is being depressed and translates that into how much it has to accelerate

Jeffy Lee
135

I assume you have either a Tiptronic (AWD Auto) or a CVT (FWD Auto) that is causing this. The CVT is much worse. People who say that this is associated with "turbo lag"...it's not completely the case. On the CVT, you do not have actual "gears" inside the transmission, but rather a spinning cone-shaped piece, that allows any ratio depending on engine load. If you ever owned a mountain bike, and looked at the gears in the rear hub, you'll notice they get smaller as you go up in gears. Now just imagine a very large set of teeth on a cone...that is the basic idea behind CVT. Those "7" gears you see on your gear display does not mean you have "7" gears, but rather 7 different ratio points. The lag you experience from a stop is the transmission trying to determine the proper "gear" ratio by looking at your engine load and other factors, which is why it takes almost up to a whole second before it reacts and adjusts itself. A way to get around this is to put it into either Sport mode, or simply manual mode. On the AWD Tiptronic transmissions, the lag is much better, but still apparent. You CAN however, fix this with a EEPROM upgrade...aka "chip". Since these cars are drive-by-wire (no throttle cable), these chips can simply request a much higher load when you tap the gas pedal. So you tapping the gas pedal 25%, the computer can actually give you 50%+ of throttle instead... making the car feel much more "peppy" and come alive.

Rhaman
345

I would suggest a visit with a mechanic and make sure the car is OK. The turbo does not factor in until high RPMs. The car should take off OK from a standing start. I dare say something is not working as it should . What you mention puts the driver at risk. Please have it checked now. I drv a 2001Audi TT, 180 HP and the turbo kicks in at 3000 RPM only. Best of luck.

Jimbo_xjn
0

This post is several years old. Does anyone know if the newer models (2011, 2012) A4s with the CVT front wheel drive suffer from the same problem, the so-called turbo lag? I just bought a 2011 used A4, 33K miles, CPO from Santa Monica this weekend and noticed that there is a significant lag and then jolt forward from traffic lights. I would have thought that any such problems would have been discovered and cured before certification. Any input?