Shaking in frornt of Jeep 2000

troop41
5

Asked by troop41 Jul 19, 2011 at 07:27 AM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Lorado Limited 2WD.  When I get up to 50MPH or more I sometimes get a really severe shaking.  This shaking almost pulls the stearing wheel out of my hands.  Now it has started top have a sound coming from the front wheels, the sound is a scrapping noise and it is a constant.  Any help would be appreciated.  I plan on taking it to a local mechanic but I would like to know what I may be in for.  Thanks

Sunny Yoo
65

alignment might be off ...

Andrew Sciberras
895

thats called death wobble. and is only associated with solid front axle vehicles. a simple alignment will not fix it. it can be caused by many things. being a 2000 it may have the teves style brake calipers which are known for warping brake rotors. check your rotors. the scraping is probably a wheel bearing knocked out of whack from the shaking. or you just need new brakes pads. take it to your mechanic then run the diagnosis by us before giving them the go-ahead. ps if they tell you that a new steering stabilizer is needed dont jump on that because its cheap. a properly set up front end will not shake. even without the stabilizer.

Andrew Sciberras
895

it could also result from bad TRE (tie rod ends) the bushing gets worn out and allows play in your steering.

jho
200

I had that happen once from a bad set of sfter market rims. It was on my 96 cherokee. Seeings as how you got the death wobble, it could be a ball joint. If you have a shock absorber on your steering rack, that could be it too. Mine does the same thing though, @ exactly 56 mph. My mechanic said change that shock...

JoshandEmma Colman
25

i had it on mine and i replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a rancho (decent but still lower end for an aftermarket) and noticed a little bit of improvement but then i added a 2nd steering stabilizer (kevinsoffroad.com) and it helped tremendiously! death wobble is gone. I also upgraded to a heavier trackbar though which helped also. i have about 250 in the upgrades but im telling you pothole filled country road at 65+ no problems even with 33" tires

richksiny
25

Most probable cause is broken belt within a tire , replace tires or rotate front to back if it still exist then look into the front end , inspect front end components when rotating tires

David Sellers
0

Check your brake pads and calipers.