four wheel drive

marvelous
0

Asked by marvelous Jan 05, 2009 at 01:51 PM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

front wheels of quadratrac not always engaged in high range. low range ok. ???

Brian Atkinson
45

With some of the Jeep's transfercases while in 4Hi the front wheels will only get power if they are not moving at the same speed as the rears. This allows you to drive on the road in 4Hi without the drive train binding up. In 4Lo they should lock. Some of the older ones don't but by 99 they do. Which is why you generally don't want to drive on pavement in 4Lo. I'm guessing you have a NP247 transfer case. They are usually good for most use.

correaso
50

hi there... i have 97 Jeep gran Cherokee laredo... can i drive it in 2 high?? it is very hard to drive it in sharps curves when you drive in 4 high.. so i wonde if i can shit it to 2 high