Is a 99 jeep cherokee witha Inline 6 a good choice???

justin292929
0

Asked by justin292929 Mar 10, 2009 at 09:00 PM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Looking to buy one for the wife!  Is it a good motor? Reliable? Gas mileage?
THANKS

Spencer Gartz
35

it is alright i have a 98 with a v8 i like the ones before 99 because they arent as much plastic and are tougher. no matter what kind of jeep you get unless you get a brand new one you will probably get less then 20 miles the the gallon. but as far as the whole thing goes mine is different but i love it.

Rob Shaw
185

The 6 cylinder Jeeps are nearly indestructible. Great engine. I own a 1994 with a 6 in it and it has 276,000 miles and runs like brand new. The body sure shows the age, but the engine runs like a top.

Nathan Casteel
25

Great vehicle. If you are looking for a reliable SUV, this is the way to go. I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 203 thousand miles on it and I have no problems what-so-ever. It runs great and has lots of power. In the four years I have owned it, the most expensive fix was replacing the tires. Other than that, I have had to replace the a few bulbs and put in a couple new speakers, but that is it. I would strongly recommend. As far as gas mileage goes, it is not the best. It has an on-board computer that shows you how much you are getting and the average you are getting. I normally make between 14 and 15. Not great, but it does have a 22 gallon fuel tank, so you can go a ways without filling up. The Inline 6 is the best engine ever put in a Jeep. Most likely, the only repairs you will ever have to do to the engine, is changing the oil. Great vehicle, hope this helps.

Andrew Sciberras
675

i own a 99 wj myself. the 4.0l is damn near indestructible. its decent on gas if you dont have a lead foot. i get about 14-16 city and 20 highway. the 4.0 has plenty of power. It came highly recommended to me over the 4.7 v8. parts arent as easily accessible as the 4.0 and gas mileage is very similar between them. my jeep has 135k miles and still running stong.

John Livingston
275

good vehicle for sure! but if you can find a 4.7 v8 get it.. it gets better gas mileage and has quite a bit more power

Ryan Marshall
95

its a great engine. i have it with a k&n intake with a duramax cat back and i run valvoline durablend synthetic mix 5w30 with no drips at all and no burning of oil. i have a lead foot and pull 16.9 mpg out of it on regular fuel and seafoam every 4,000 miles

John Livingston
275

the v8 will average 18-24 city highway.. at least mine did before the 33" km2's.. now with a big lift and tires i still get about 17-18 without a re-gear

Arnold Viersen
25

extremely reliable. i have a tj with a 4.0l in it and if i put 90 octane fuel in it i can get consitantly 22 miles to the gallon(imp) on the high way going no faster than 100km/hr.

Ryan Marshall
95

why 90? does the mpg overcome the boost in price?

Mike Ross
125

From my experience, the I6 feels a little overburdened in the WJ Grand Cherokee. The 4.7L V8 will take that away, plus it sounds great. However, I would never discourage anyone from a WJ with the six. Again, in my experience, I've never seen a problem with it and it will get the same gas mileage as the V8, if you are careful on the accelerator.

Derek Reigle
45

Gas mileage on a 96 was about 18-20 depending on driving style. I ran it for about 10000 miles trying to keep up with a leaky radiator.... and not always doing a good job at that... held up pretty good till I lost compression in a cylinder at 146000.

Jeff Ellison
45

I've had my 98 grand cherokee for over 4 years now-the worst thing i've had to do to it was the front universal joints on the axle-other than that- its a tank in the snow and i've put over 100k on it and it still runs and drives like a dream.I do reccomend the inline 6 as upposed to the V-8-theres not as much friction on a straight 6 because the cyliders just go straight up and down as upposed to the V8-the 4 liter has plenty of power for the weight of the vehicle.

Matt Anderson
235

If it was taken care of, the 4.0 six is pretty much bulletproof. I've seen them go well over 200k and still run fine. It's torquey, and will give you better gas mileage than the 4.7 V8 if that's important.

jml12345
1,305

the old jeep are great. i havent seen a bad yet. my eagle has the 4.2 l6 and it hasnt failed me yed.

jml12345
1,305

the old jeep engines are great. corection to my last post

Chris Martinez
5

yes, its a great vehicle in general, reasonm being, the parts are EVERYWHERE, especially for grand cherokees, number 2 they last over 100,000miles easy, usually at 100,000 allot of other cars would be getting tired. The motor that your talking about the inline 6 is accually an AMC motor carried over from when jeep was owned by AMC, that motor especially is notorious for outlasting most other SUV motors.

Jimmie Davis
10

Yes rob very true..I own a 94 myself with a in line 6..I have 244,000 on it but I just replaced the motor..with a younger lady..77,000 on the new I never changed the oil on it and I was I. The wrong for it..I wont make that mistake again...the only problem I have now is it has a hard start to it..I have to apply the gas pedal alittle. For it to start..but once its starts u can't tell its on..what can be the problem..I have all new parts..fuel filter and pump..starter and everything else...could it need time for the computer to reset... I drove it 35 miles on the new motor...thanks...

Bigbam3
10

i got a 95 with that engine and it runs like a champ. very reliable. gets only 11 mpg

gls
10

I have a 96 inline 6 awesome power love it will never get rid of it !!!!!

wb6epp
710

The inline six cylinder has been around a long time and is a well proven engine for long givity, reliablity and as most six's quite torquey. Mine is a 199 Grand Cherokee V8, 4.7L which loves fuel. I wish I had the six! The v8 better for towing heavier loads. My Jeep has 173,000 on it, does not use oil is still powerful. Hope this helps you!!

Nick Reese
25

I have 247xxx miles on an inline 6 4.0 and on original motor and transmission just basic upkeep keeps the ole 4.0 going

Matt Mankinen
1,465

I've had a 88 Cherokee 4x4 auto with the 4.0 six, 150k miles. Great and reliable. only weakness was cooling system was designed with the temp switch in wrong are which causes overheating in summer. Did a manual override switch to the aux fan relay to cool it down when to reached higher temps. another 95 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 six auto, 200k miles. Exhaust manifold welds fail with high miles. easy fix. Both very solid and reliable 4x4 vehicles with decent gas mileage. have a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited AWD 5.2 V8 with 180k miles. MPG is about 5 less then the 4.0 and would prefer the Select Trac or Quadra Trac so I can switch it to 2WD. EGR that get clogged and Intake plenum gaskets fail with higher mileage and make it idle or run rough. If I ever sell the Grand I'll go back to a regular Cherokee with the six again.

candu
50

I have a 2004 grand cherokee with the 4.0 I6. Expanded plastic air intake opening by heating and stretching over wood. Went to 28mpg. Added T in vacuum line for interior air control, put a little filter at end. Went to 36mpg with tail wind, 33mpg without. Imperial gallons, same 325 mile trip, fill ups right up the spout and calculated. Computer can't sense this after throttle body air but shows over 25mpg US on overhead readout.

You think this is helpful.