Do I need to replace my thermostat in the car?

gscott1959
0

Asked by gscott1959 Apr 19, 2014 at 09:36 AM about the 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L turbo.  Recently I had the water pump replaced due to
coolant leaking out.  Now while driving, the temperature gauge shows normal but after 15
to 20 minutes the temperature rises then returns to normal.  This happens continuously
while the car is running.  It shows no sign of overheating.  I don't see coolant leaking out
and when I turn on the heater it blows cold air.

JRKPerformax
1,585

I would suspect a Thermostat. It either stays open or shut. It is keeps open it never gets that warm and cold air is always blowing. Although, if it is stuck close it will overheat. I would replace it.

Deathjam4
2,285

this would probably be due to the coolant has not been bled probley which is a comman occurrence when you get some one who does not know what there doing when refilling the antifreeze. There should be a bleed valve on the cooling lines under the hood in some cases 2 here is a link that should help you out. http://www.ehow.com/how_7675042_bleed-cooling-system-audi-18t.html . Alot of people don't realize the anti freeze cooling system in an audi is a closed pressurized cooling system and the reason you get the thermostat going up and down is the air pockets going threw your system are stuck in certain places and randomly the coolant gets threw those locations to spike your sensors. As for the heating system it will only work when your foot is pretty much half way to the floor due to the air bubbles in it as well. If you had AUDI do this work take it back and ask them to bleed your system properly and complain about them not bleeding the system properly which caused you more issues. you can do the same at where ever else you had it done but it would be best to take it to a vw or audi dealership to get it done, since they can do it properly