Car starts and it shuts off/loses power

1sys
20

Asked by 1sys Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM about the 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Turbo.93K on it.
When I start the car, the engine starts and as the RPM gauge goes up, it just goes right back down, the car shutss off, as if it can not stay on, sometimes its starts, but 95% of the time it needs more than 3, 4 times to try until I ge tit going, sometimes 6-8 tries. I wen to Audi, they replaced a sensor or two, a new car starter and still nothing.
I would like to ge this fixed, it is anoying and embarrasing when yo iuare at a parking lot and you need to to try 5 times to get it started.
There are no gas fumes/smell

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Rez

joef
4,225

Did the replace the Mass airflow sensor? How about the idle air controller?

1sys
20

I have no idea.. I will call and ask them... this was 2, 3 years ago. But those could be the issue?? Also, I I have no check engine light on. Thanks, Rez

Josh Holder
145

sounds like evap canister valves went bad

Josh Holder
145

could be lot of different thing though: high press fuel pump, water in the gas ( ethanol absorbs water ), airflow sensor, idle air control valve, evap vent valve stuck open, fuel press reg

Deathjam4
3,195

you my friend most likely have a vacuum issue. \n check out these few options 1. loose or faulty electrical connections at, Distributor, coil or alternator. 2. Insufficent Fuel reaching the fuel injectors. vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throtal body. 4. intake air leaks, broken vacuum lines. 5. Contaminated fuel. I have the haynes book and it lists off most comman issues and that is what it reads try that out and see if you can find an issue. my 1998 audi stalls in high heat where its ran for some time then left to bake in the sun normaly i jsut have to shut the key back turn it on which my foot to the floor on the gas peddle till it starts and it ussaly runs fine after that.

1sys
20

Guys, thanks for all the input. Now, I am making a list of the potential issues that you guys mentioned, and i am going to my local mechanic and ask him if he could pinpoint which one needs fixing... is this a good approach? Obviously I can not replace/fix all those parts, $$$$. Any other way to approach this without breaking the bank?

Deathjam4
3,195

well what you can do is get hte garage to check the fuel lines pressure its really not to expensive, checking hte vacum lines is easy enough if you remove the engine cover, and if you can get the engine running all you gota do is spray the lines with soapy water and find the bubling ones and replace as you go. if you got a telescoping camera you can use the same spray soap with the throtal body its located normaly at the back of the engine under the main vacum lines. and as for checking the fuel just try changing the fuel filter it is most likely cloged if you have not changed it in over a year or so and use a volt meter on the coil pack or just pull a plug put it next to some metal at the tip and give a quick crank this is best checked in the dark

knightthrone
40

Hey Deathjam4, i am having the exact same problem as yours with my A4 B5 1999.5

knightthrone
40

Car starts fine and runs god normally when it is not too hot and the ac is not running. Days when it is hot and i have driven for a bit, then leave the car out in the sun and then drive for a bit, the engine just stalls. To get it started, i have to push the gas peddle a few times and it starts with the turn of a key. What did you do to fix that? It is not the best thing to happen when driving around a lot of traffic, and embarassing at the same time!! Also, FYI I have recently started noticing some starting troubles with my audi, i have to turn the key for a longer duration to start the engine. Sounds like it wants to start, but is not getting the right amount of fuel it needs. Could it be the fuel pump in my case?

Deathjam4
3,195

Your describing a temperature sensor issue. I had this happening with mine where the car runs fine before i park it in the sun then have to put my foot to the floor to start it after its sat a bit. There is a throttle body temperature sensor mounted in the top od the intake Replace it with a dealer part its about 100$ and it will solve your problem. Also clean your MAF Mass airflow Sensor while your down there. Sending 2 pics so you know what to look for

knightthrone
40

Thanks Deathjam4. I somehow felt the issue was more related to the fuel pump as I can feel the engine starving during hot weather. With everything in mind, I will take time out this weekend to figure out if this solves my issue and post back. Cheers

Deathjam4
3,195

yea hot weather and the fuel pump wouldn't be a problem Provided your tank is more then 1/4 full or more at all times. The gasoline keeps your fuel pump cold and working at optimal heat levels. So if your pump is going you will hear it sputter and making grinding noises while it trys to work which in turn means its either got crap in it or it is just simply waring out. And Np hope it fixes the issue for you it did with mine on cold and warm starts.

knightthrone
40

Cant see the second pic you added. I have now got to the point where the sensor connectors but what next? Can please upload

knightthrone
40

Found the sensor after opening the screw holding it in. The issue I now have is that the sensor is not immediately available from any of my local stores and they say will need to be sourced from Bosch (and can take upto a month...haha stores here dont keep these handy). So as a workaround and while this is done, I got the sensor out and gave it a good clean with some kerosene. After drying it for a few minutes and cleaning with a dry cotton cloth, I have pushed it back in with hopes that is works for me till the new one arrives.

Deathjam4
3,195

the best place to locate the sensor is at your local vw or audi dealer. You can also find some online auto parts websites that can have a new one to you within a couple days. And cleaning the sensor will defiantly help it.

knightthrone
40

Ok, so the sensor has now arrived and I replaced it in my car yesterday morning. I hope this has sorted my problems, though I did note that the car took longer to start on one occassion during the day but has been good otherwise. I can live with an occassional starting problem, but just hoping the car does not stall on a hot day. Well, summers have only begun here in Au, so guess itvis going to be tested very soon. Thanks Deathjam4 4 ur advice. Have a good Christmas n a happy new year!!

Deathjam4
3,195

not a problem feel free to message me if you have any more issues i often check my mail daily so should be able to get back to you in quick order to help trouble shoot. And Merry christmas and a happy new years back at yea hehe

Mike Yvens
20

Audi 1996 stalls during traffic stop. It shakes as the RPM drops. Any help please. write me at vprincemike@ gmail.com plz.

Deathjam4
3,195

that sounds like a fuel issue. Check your cylinders for pressure. also check the vacuum lines there is along one that goes over the drivers side of the engine that tends to break due to the heat and its for idling speed. also check your crank case hoses. they are attached to the head cover. The older model cars tend to get blocked up after long periods of time. Also change your fuel filter if its been well over 2 years.

Cali Cain
0

My 1998 Audi is doing the same. I assume it's something to do with the fuel pump.. My car only starts well in the morning., have to keep my foot on the gas for maybe 30 seconds so engine can stay on but after its starts my car runs well.. To avoid embarrassment from trying to keep starting it yesterday I keep my car running to pump gas and my car turn off on me.

Deathjam4
3,195

you can't fill your car while its running the gas tank is a vacum while its running and this can cause damage to other parts in your fuel system and engine such as misfires or fouling plugs. And if your car is the 2.8L engine the reason it is stalling is most likely due to a bad or carbon covered throtal body heat sensor which is mounted right in top of the throtal body air pipe. Replace the sensor and clean your maf (mass air flow sensor) and you should be as right as rain.

jgonzalezjr
5

Hey deathjam4, Im new here and to VWs as well. I bought a 98 Passat 1.8T and the issue I'm having is that with the MAF plugged in the car stalls out every time! it will not stay running. I replaced the MAF with a new one and still same issue. If I unplug the MAF car idles and runs fine it appears. Any thoughts?

Deathjam4
3,195

well this could be a number of issues my first thought would be the emissions system is not working correctly. Try going under your car and check the charcoal canister and all the lines as well. It was very common for the evap line to rot off in the drivers side wheel well and cause vacuum issues and stalls. also check all the wireing you can find. It would also be a good idea to pull the inner wheel well out where the evap vacum box is in the rear drivers side. I opened mine up one day to replace that line in my audi and found a mouse nest right ontop of that opened filter on it which caused alot of issues.

jgonzalezjr
5

Thanks Deathjam4, I will take a look this weekend and report back.

Monica Mckinley
0

I have a Grand Marquis It wouldnt start at all. I was told it was the fuel pump. I just changed the fuel pump and now it starts but wont stay started for more than 15 seconds what else could be wrong?

Deathjam4
3,195

have them check the fuel filter If a pump goes faulty it could clog the filter up as well. Any other problems would be related to spark or air. Clean all the sensors in the air system such as the MAF(Mass Air Flow) sensor. Also have all the spark plugs changed out for new ones if they have not been changed in over 60,000 km. If they are new check them for carbon build up.

Tylen Sakoor
0

I have a problem with my Toyota corolla 160i 1998. The car starts but won't idle. I had my computer box fixed by an auto electronic,Someone told me that its my computer box and. Because I repaired the box it needs to go in for a reset and that I should take my car in for diagnosis. Should I take the advice and do so?

ohhalyyccce
5

I'm also having the same problem with my 2001 A4 Quattro. It'll start but then I'll start driving it and it seems like its losing fuel pressure because it just stalls out and then the "brake light failure" sign comes on, then it won't start for a few tries.