started stalling and dying when in gear

Devin Oxford
55

Asked by Devin Jul 28, 2008 at 01:27 AM about the 1994 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SLE Extended Cab SB

350 motor
4L60E trans

Motor wants to stall while in gear (but doesn't do it out of gear once over 1000 rpm it dosent) seem to stall and it is only from a dead stop.  Fuel filter has been replaced and TBI was rebuilt last April but it sort of used to do something like this when it was like 40 degrees or below.

32,185

Could be torque converter lockup solenoid in the trans.

Jason Schiers
45

my experience with my 93 yukon was the idle air control moter.

Stephen Orr
20

Does it do it when it warms up? if once its warm it stops tryin to stall then i would say its the cold start injector, i am pretty sure thats my problem aswell im just waiting for the right price befor i buy it.

Chris Yager
85

with the condenser for ac on or off?????? hmmmmm

Chris Yager
85

i suspect tpi or map sensor. or even dirty pcv valve or worce pluged egr check for vac preasure on hose going to to pcv and for pcv valve to ratle when you shake it

Devin Oxford
55

Already fixed it was the fuel pump mine only had 8 psi where normally they have 12-17 psi. Feels like a brand new truck it now has lots of power and doesn't stall anymore

Rwolfe
260

I have a similiar problem as devin, my 95 Sierra 4x4 it has a 350 5.7L engine and the fuel filter has been replaced I cleaned the injectors out and put a new gasket on. The shop said I have good fuel pressure but I am choking out even when not in gear. but I can keep it running if I pump the gas. I was told it was the cadiladic converter but that was not the issue. Once it is in gear It will not stay running unless you use the 2 foot method and it is very rough and wont run for more than a minute. It never did this untill I got it back from the collision center after I was hit in the front passenger side?

CHARLESCPEYTON
0

i WENT THRU WITH MECHANIC CHANGING EVERYTHING, IDLE CONTROLLER, ETC. finally THEY CHANGED THE BLACK SENSOR ON THE THROTTLE BODY LEFT SIDE AND IT FIXED IT. THIS WAS NOT THE IDLE CONTROLLER, IT WAS A BLACK PART ATTACHED TO THE ACTUAL THROTTLE BODY. NOW i AM ENCOUNTERING HARD TRANNY SHIFT INTO 2ND GEAR ETC SO ITS A CONTINUAL ISSUE BUT i THINK NOT DUE TO THE CHANGES OF ALL ITEMS AND THEN BACK FROM THE INTAKE MANIFOLD UP.

jackedup92
80

i have a question!! just recently swapped motor and trans out of my 92 gmc 1500 with a motor and trans from an 89 1500. it will crank and idle perfectly and i can rev it up with pretty good throttle response. soon as i drop it in reverse or drive and give it gas it acts like it wants to die and sometimes does.if i play with the throttle i can get it going but it hesitates bad. only changes that were made was i had to swap the throttle body unit off the 92 to the 89 motor cause of cruise control and different iac plugs. do you think this is a spark issue or fuel issue? any help would be greatly appreciated.

sickofthis
10

The problem is, everyone has the right answer (WRONG) ! You'll have to take it in and have it checked..........or waste time and money listening to these people and change every part they tell you too. This is why it's a waste looking on the net of a sulution

AaronSquire
10

You know Mr. sickofthis!....I disagree with a lot of the answers here, but a few were good answers. The fact is there are so many different possibilities that can cause a single issue it is hard to diagnose online but sites like this are meant to help by giving you a place to start checking. I have been a mechanic for over 20yrs and am myself finding an issue with my own vehicle which I have never ran into before. Which is why I find myself on this site. I have been experiencing a similar issue and am concerned it is a lockup problem which is one answer given here. And also before the problem got this bad had also suspected low fuel pressure due to pump or clogged filter just hadn't had a chance to check it yet and wasn't to concerned about it till things got worse. I was looking on this site for someone experiencing a similar issue who may have found a fix. And so another answer and fix was fuel pump which I already suspected was a possibility but with the way my truck tries to lung forward during trans engagement I am leaning towards lockup solenoid or at least something trans internal. My point with you though is if you have nothing helpful to add then shut up and stay off the site. Go wine someplace else. Sorry if I have offended anyone here by saying so, but people just piss me off sometimes. And I am not adding anything useful now either so I too will shut up. I hope at least someone finds what information I did add to be helpful. And just a quick note if you do suspect one of these to issues to be your problem, start by checking your fuel pressure, if that is ok and you have no other codes that could relate to this issue then go to the trans. Egr, if stucjk open could cause stalling, but will cause rough idle as well which I dont have and the pvc has nothing to do with it at all unless it is a vacuum leak in the line going to the valve. Like I said though there are lots of possibilities. Good Luck everyone and again sorry for unloading a little on Mr. sickofthis!!

Jhooks
0

I've got a 94 1500 step side 5.7 l v8 when I put it into gear I have no power. The code it said was wrong was the MAP sensor , so once I replaced that it still didn't run when in gear, I've replaced the MAP sensor, TPS , pluge, wires ,cap rotor distributor, timing chain, temp sensor, injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, AGR valve . the truck sounds like a brand new right off the line when it in park but as soon. As put it in gear it wants to stall, any other ideas???