I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. The Airbag warning light is on, and neither the horn nor the cruise control buttons work. Do airbags go bad after a certain amount of time?

tippy33455

Asked by tippy33455 May 12, 2007 at 05:00 PM about the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 4 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

The warning light comes on when I start the vehicle and I hear a warning "beep". It stays on constantly. The horn doesn't work. And none of the cruise control buttons work. Do airbags need to be replaced after a certain amount of time? Why does it affect EVERYTHING on the steering wheel?

LouB
11,560

Hi tippy. I'm not sure all of the problems are related. Air bags don't typically need to be replaced but they can malfunction or to be more precise they can return a code when the car's system runs diagnostics at start up. And again, while they may be related I'm not certain all of your problems are. A Dodge Service Manager will be able to tell you right away however. Take a ride down with an extra cup of coffee and pick his brain. Good luck!

amathea
15

I know there was a recall on a part, the clockspring I believe that had something to do with the air bags. The recall was back in 2004 but you could look it up.

vandriver3
0

Clockspring -- it is the way the airbag and cruse controls are connected from the steering wheel to the steering column. It is not hard to change -- you will need a steering wheel puller, a 10mm socket wrench, and a #2 phillips screwdriver. Watch the video on YouTube for instructions. I just changed mine -- 15 to 20 minutes. Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes first, while you get everything ready.